Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Default Re: Anyone have Windows 10 yet

It seems to work OK but sorry to say I still get the bad squashed results I did before.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

larry - type msconfig into the search - it should come up as 'system configuration desktop app' - search [either as a button or an bar] should be on the windows taskbar to the left, next to the start button

Me too, Gary. Is it something we said?
    Bob.
    ** Detailed "Create A Spinning Logo Tutorial" is available in .pdf format for download at this link **
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx.

if you have downloaded the ISO with the correct version of win10 and made a usb/dvd, and it will not upgrade from that then your computer may not qualify

if you have the task bar button for windows reservation and you click on that, then click the 'hamburger icon' top leftish there is an option to check your PC - this may tell you of issues that prevent upgrade [yes obvious place to find this; not]

when I upgraded one computer I had the internet disconnected, so as to avoid lengthening the process by down loading updates first, these could wait; it worked ok

I had it and like it more than windows 8.1

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Duke View Post
    How can I limit startup programs in windows 10?
    ron larry cloud

you don't actually need msconfig in win 10 - you can use the task manager: right click on windows taskbar, click task manager, first time it opens click 'more details' and then the start-up tab

Thanks Steve. I had done that, but it doesn't list that many programs. Is it possible there are other hidden programs running?
    R_o_n _a_l _d __C. __D_u_k_e

x a r a . c o m..a r t i s t s ..g a l l e r y

Xara's Facebook

Xara Designer Pro X 16, Xara 3D7 Web Designer

Taskmanager>Users>click your name or use the details-tab for more info
    You could also use CCleaner>tools>startup
    To prevent programs from running on win startup
    I have all google and chrome startups switched off because they are resource heavy programs

Hans

Hi Ron

if you look at task manager / process tab / background processes you get an idea of what is running - some of these may be user installed, but it's not usually a good idea to try to block these unless you identify something 'suspicious'

if you are worried about bandwidth usage you can check this in settings /network and internet / data usage - if you are on capped service you can set advance options metered connection 'on' [apparently this only works for a wifi connection; que?]

if you have a decent third party security suite it should have an option to block background apps such as weather, news, recipies, whatever from accessing the internet

Hi Hans

yes, and the details tab is even more, well detailed, and geekish

not a fan of blocking stuff other than with a firewall or windows itself .. but if it works...