Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question avi codecs for export animation

The help notes say to click on the options and select from the avi codecs installed or choose uncompressed.
    When I try to do this I find uncompressed as my only option.
    What do I need to do so that I can have more choices when exporting an animation to avi?

Default Re: avi codecs for export animation

until someone with more experience on this chimes in to really clarify this......
    codecs are kinda like fonts. you need to install them in order to see them as choices in the export options menu. if you don't have any installed you won't see any other choices.

I get what you are saying but is it possible to direct the Photo & Graphic Designer 10 to codecs already installed by my other video editing programs? Or, do I need to acquire avi codecs separately and install them. If so how do I install them so that P&GD 10 knows where to find them?

to determine which codecs are installed and available to other programs on your PC you need to run the program msinfo32 [type this into 'run' box in win7; in win8 use 'search' box]

when it opens expand 'components' and then 'multimedia' and there are your lists for both audio and video

if the codecs are there and xara is not picking them up, or not there but available to another program, it is possible they are either not usable by xara, or proprietary and only usable by a specific programs

which codecs are they? someone may be able to help further
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Thanks! I will get started on checking the codecs listed and also try to find out what other codecs are available for video files. I know Fluendo sells codec packages but I am curious why my video editing programs don't furnish codecs instead of just relying on what MS provides in their op sys.

Well, I installed a codec pack which added one new codec when I checked with msinfo32. Xara P&GD 10 still doesn't show any options in avi except uncompressed. I hope someone who has more options when they use avi to export an animation can perhaps tell how they got them.

What program are you using to create your avi's?

On my system if I export as avi from WD ProX I get the following. (see screen grab)

From eth avi export help file:

AVI Options

Options: Select from a range of codecs you have installed
    Quality: Set the quality value of the AVI (up to 100%)
    Key frame every ...: Enable/disable the outputting of key frames and set the frequency.
    Transparency: Select to make the AVI background transparent.
    Area to save: Setting the area to save to be Drawing will create an AVI animation that is only as large as it needs to be – i.e. the same as the outer bounds of the animation. This can be useful if you don't need a specific page size.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avi-export.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	7.2 KB 
ID:	107075  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

with P&G10 i get those choices along with Cinepak Codec by Radius. don't know how they're there and also they don't show in msinfo32 with the other ones. the only programs i've added video-wise are VLC and Microsoft Expression 4 Encoder. don't know if that's how i got extra ones????

sorry, can't help much more. that's all i got

Hi Mike,

I don't use avi's. Used to use Flash .flv's. Now just post to YouTube (which used to be .flv based) but I'm a real novice re video.
    My Xara 3D Maker 7 has greater options. See screen-grab. Go figure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	avi-export-2.png 
Views:	118 
Size:	6.8 KB 
ID:	107076  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    .....but I'm a real novice re video.
    My Xara 3D Maker 7 has greater options. See screen-grab. Go figure!
    heh...whatever level is less than "real novice" is still one higher than me Mr. B
    and odd that one program sees more codecs than the other.

i've done a bunch of gifs and swfs but not really anything to do with video. something to look into this weekend for future reference (also aiding me in my quest to keep my kids impressed because they think i'm too old to know about all this "tech" stuff )
    hopefully we'll see a solution here that'll help everyone out