Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Recommend a utility to search for "visually similar" files?

Hi

I keep failing to find certain images that I know are somewhere on my PC but whose master files are badly named.

Can anyone recommend a cheap search utility that allows you to use a given image to search all the images on my PC to find images that are "visually similar" ?
    (e.g. images of different sizes and different formats - .JPG .PNG .XAR .GIF etc)

I'm thinking that this ought to be possible by comparing previews / thumbnails of files.

Thanks

J

Default Re: Recommend a utility to search for "visually similar" files?

There are some but I can't guarantee their pedigree:

It might be safer to use Picasa and locate images by eye.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Default Re: Recommend a utility to search for "visually similar" files?

Try XnView. It's capable of a lot of thing but it can also look foor "similar files'. It's freeware and I can really recommend it as a perfect companion to Xara. You can download a minimal portable version from http://download.xnview.com/XnView-win-small.zip. Under the menu "tools" ther is an item to find similar files.