Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Space before page

Hi All,

I'm a noob using Web Designer. I'm having trouble with how to cause pages to display a bit down from the top of the pasteboard (globally). Seems like a simple thing. I've reviewed the help pages extensively - no can find.

Thanks,
    icue

Default Re: Space before page

In past versions of Xara we would have to use a tweak. I'm not sure if we still have to. here is one I made many months ago.

Adjust "margin-top" to suit your needs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Welcome to TalkGraphics icue

Thank you Dyrwd for the help and gwpriester for the welcome. Wow this is an active forum. I'm astounded at the amount of posting going on.

So, I've downloaded the Margin.web.xar file. It appears windows or my browser does an automatic uncompress to "attachment.php" (I just learned about "xar"). When I look at the file attachment.php with gvim, it doesn't appear to be PHP but has a bunch of hexadecimal chars in it. This probably means I'm doing something wrong! If I were to get it downloaded and decompressed correctly, how do I used it? I assume it will go in the header html for the site.

I've poked around a bit on the forum and see this has been an "issue" for some time. Some solutions use a bit of CSS in the header. The other solution is to drag the ruler cross-hairs on the page. It appears both these only work well if done when the site is first created. In any case it seems this is a very common thing designers would be doing. Since Web Designer is supposed to be a intuitive WYSIWYG site builder, it seems Xara should create a much more elegant solution! In idea would be to use special markers on the ruler with options to propagate a given marker to all pages (or make it global).

Thanks,
    icue

You should be able to open it with Xara. It adds the following code to the <head> section of the page it is used on.

Code:
    <style type="text/css">
    #xr_xr {
    margin-top: 20px;
    }
    </style>
    The same code can be placed into website > html code (head) under website properties to set the code on every page.

Thank you all for your help. I'm now able to get margin-top set as desired placing a little bit of CSS in the page head section. If anybody is reading this to learn for themselves, please note it is best to do this a the beginning of your project. Also, if you do this using the not-so-intuitive-way Xara indicates --using the ruler tool-- (per Rob-Xar's link) it does not play nicely with the CSS snipet. Again, thanks to all. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions and eventually provide some answers as well.

Icue