Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Web Background White for Printing

When working in Xara Designer Pro X9, can a website with color background be set to print basic white background w/black text? Looking for a "Printer Friendly" version for printing.

What I have done so far is save each page as a .PDF with white background and black text. There is a link on each of the 8 pages saying "Print" and when clicked on opens the .PDF that you can print. Not everyone will click the "Print" link on the website itself. Some will understandably click "Print" from the browser command bar.

There are 2 options I can think of:

1. What I'd like to accomplish is something I've seen on other websites with a lot of color or graphics. When you click "Print Preview" from your browser and more "Printer Friendly" page is available. Is there a setting in Xara for me to create a Printer Friendly page?
    2. Perhaps I can set up the website to go directly to the .PDF I have created when "Print" or "Print Preview" is selected from the browser. It seems like that may take some coding.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Default Re: Web Background White for Printing

You can try something radical with http://www.printfriendly.com/.
    Set up a print button on each page to this url with the source site page url included.
    It generates PDFs too.

Used carefully, it saves pages in lots of circumstances.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

Thank you for the link. I had not heard of it before and will most likely use it when I need to print something from a website.

On the Xara website I've created, it looks like my best bet is to save each page as .PDF and put a "Print" button to link to the saved .PDF.

Not sure if XD Pro X10 features allow for a printer friendly design to be printed from the browser.

As always, I am a satisfied Xara customer and so appreciate the forum for tossing ideas around.

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodsue View Post
    Thank you for the link. I had not heard of it before and will most likely use it when I need to print something from a website.

On the Xara website I've created, it looks like my best bet is to save each page as .PDF and put a "Print" button to link to the saved .PDF.

Not sure if XD Pro X10 features allow for a printer friendly design to be printed from the browser.

As always, I am a satisfied Xara customer and so appreciate the forum for tossing ideas around.
    I've not used this approach myself, so it is work checking carefully.

In Web Properties > Page > HTML head (code), include:

Code:
    <style>
    @media print {
       body {
          color: #000;
          background: #fff;
       }
    }
    </style>
    Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

In Firefox and I imagine, other browsers, you have the option of printing page backgrounds and colours or not. It's easy to see the effect in >File >Print Preview> Page Setup. It would be a shame to limit your artistic choices when the 'no background' option already exists at the browser level (in Firefox at least).