Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Does anyone else have this annoying problem?

K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XaraX_Faulty_Default_Font.gif 
Views:	468 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	11066  
    K
    www.klausnordby.com/xara (big how-to article)
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)
    www.graphics.com (occasional columnist, "The I of The Perceiver")

Does anyone else have this annoying problem?

K
    K
    www.xaraxone.com/FeaturedArt/kn/ (I was the first-ever featured artist in the Xone)

I do not have this problem: on my PC Xara starts with Times New Roman. I tried Marlett, it works, tried to change to another font and no problems.

BUT:1/ When I start I always have a black fill as default that I also would like to change.

2/ After some two lines of typing I lose my type tool icon.

Can't say this programme has no character (and moods)

I'd love to be able to change the default font - if only it were possible !

Changing the default font for a document (selecting text tool and selecting a font without any text selected or the cursor placed, then clicking on "Set" when asked) doesn't have any effect when I save the document complete with default font, as a template.

I'm sure this was listed as an entry on a wish-list for CorelXara 2 and I would bet my life that it was listed on the wish-list for Xara X.

I'd happily trade the contour and nav bar tools for the ability to set a default font !

Win2K, 192 megs, XaraX 1.0aa. I have no problems with incorrect default font and entering in excess of 6 text lines does not lose my text cursor.

Can you define a template that has these things set up - ie Font, colours etc?

[oops, no that doesn't work afterall. maybe it should???]

James

Klaus

I wonder if Martlett is your only TrueType font?

This problem might have something to do with Type 1 vs TrueType fonts with Xara searching first for Times Roman then looking for the first True Type font.

I had a similar problem years ago and all the text defaulted to Adobe Critter.

If you think this might be the case, and if you don't have Times Roman installed in your fonts, try installing Times Roman TTF and see if that solves the problem.

FYI my copy of Xara defaults to Times Roman

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

I don't have Times New Roman TTF installed - and I don't WANT to have it installed. I have removed it on purpose, as I want only my Times New Roman PS on my system. I don't want XaraX to force me to reinstall it. So I well know the practical _solution_ to the Martlett issue, and it only takes a second to change it to another font anyway. But thanks for your advice!

The more fundamental problem which Xara needs to address - and as others in this thread are also pleading for - is the freedom to choose our OWN default settings. XaraX is much too dictatorial in insisting on all those silly defaults, like black for fill, a certain font for text, etc. Granted, every program must have default settings for every function - but it should be possible for users to CHANGE these, and not just have to sit there and meekly take it.

K
    K