Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default page size not visible ?

Hello,

I've search through the help but cannot find the answer to this problem:

I use Web Designer 10 Premium and am starting to make a simple webpage.
    I started the page design via an import from Photoshop PSD file.
    See the attached screenshot.
    The problem is that I cannot see in the editor where my page starts end ends (width en height). So I don't know how big or small I have to make my object to let everything fit on the page.
    I expect a white page on a darker background so I can see the limits of the page and fit the content in the white page area... you understand what I mean ?
    On the Page & Layer gallery tab I see my page and a rectangle that is smaller than my content. I cannot find in the manual what this rectangle means ? It looks as if my contents expand beyond the rectangle and that this is the reason why my page is too big when previewing in the browser.
    Can anyone help me ?

thank you,

Olivier

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wd10pro.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	105036

Default Re: page size not visible ?

Hi Oliver

In the Window drop down menu, select View Quality and select Outlines.

I suspect that your Photoshop image is larger than the page which is why you are not seeing it.

You will see the page outline, and an outline of your Photoshop bitmap.

When the page is visible (after you return to High Quality view) you can drag and drop a color from the screen palette onto the pasteboard area and then drag and drop another color onto the page.

ok thank you Gary !
    What does this rectangle on my page on the page and layer gallery mean ? Is does not cover all the page ?
    Is there no way I can have a dark or grey background around the page in High Quality View ?

Do you happen to know how to let a background image repeat itself (tile) ?

thank you !
    Last edited by ozeegers; 06 December 2014 at 05:37 AM.

The rectangle in the Page & Layer Gallery is a representation of the page. There are 4 layers, MouseOver, MouseOff (most content should be on the MouseOff layer), Page Background and Pasteboard Background. Page and Pasteboard layers are locked by default. Though you can right click on the page or the pasteboard and select Page or Pasteboard Background... then you have various edit options.

To apply a repeating background image for the pasteboard, import or create a bitmap image that you wish to tile.

Open the Bitmap Gallery, right click on the tile image and select Set Pasteboard Background. It will automatically tile.

There is a set of repeating patterns in the Designs Gallery (see attached). These are black, gray, and white images that you can drag and drop onto the background to create a repeating background. You can then drag and drop colors onto these tiles to change the light and dark colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	repeat.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	105040   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tiling backgrounds.png 
Views:	117 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	105041  

ok, but in this screenshot you can see my objects on the page and then a rectangle that is smaller than the page with bold corners like it could be streched ?
    What is this for ? What does it represent ? Does it mean my page content goes beyond the boundaries of the page ?

When I go to Bitmap Gallery to set my background image to tile as you instruct here above I get an error:

"Internal program error 10878.w.gr.gn"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wderror.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	105042

Try closing Web Designer. Then right click on the program icon and select Run as Administrator. This can often solve the error message. Do it one time. It will work or it will not work. You do not need to do this more than one time.

Each vector object in Xara has a tiny black square (in the attached you can see two, one on the tan rectangle and one on the photo). I'm not really certain of what the purpose is, but I think it has to do with the orientation of the vector shape.

Name:	small square.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	105045  

My input:

Name:	page-size.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	105046  
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

thank you very much....

I removed some object from the background that were put there by the psd import function and all of a sudden I can clearly see the boundaries by a grey background....
    Can I send you my project so you can check if everything is correctly scaled ?

greetings,

Olivier