Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Editing xaraweb on 2 computers

I'm sure this has been answered numerous times, but can't bring it up on search feature.

I have a client that wants to do some editing on his website. What is the easiest way to transfer website to him so he can add PDFs, pics, etc? Can I simply put on jump drive and deliver it? If so, do I just need the .web file or all htm files as well? I have always put all my xara web files under Owner's Documents--is this necessary?
    Thank you so much for you help!

Default Re: Editing xaraweb on 2 computers

In order for your client to edit the site you have created he will need to have a copy of Web Designer.

There is a CMS product created by Xara user XTOM http://www.xt-cms.com/ that will also let your client make changes to parts of the site. I have not used this utility but it might be worth a look to see if it will work for you.

Very interesting! Didn't know such an animal existed. My client was planning on purchasing Xara so he could add PDFs to the password protected part of the website. I'll probably still have him do that, but this CMS is a great tool for me to use when away from my computer.

Don't get too excited nita, xtom is certainly useful but it requires some understanding of HTML.

Be prepared for when your client needs help with Xara. It won't just be a case of your client getting Xara and the problem goes away. That's when they'll start.

The questions you see on TG? You'll be getting them from your client. When it goes wrong, who will your client call to fix things?..

What's your phone number Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    What's your phone number Paul?

1-800-CALL-GARY

If the pdf updates are simply replacing another pdf then the better option would be to give the client ftp access and they simply upload and replace the current PDF. So that you have a generic button to view or download the pdf such as 'view document'. That way they have no need to mess around with the software and design.
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nita View Post
    I'm sure this has been answered numerous times, but can't bring it up on search feature.

I have a client that wants to do some editing on his website. What is the easiest way to transfer website to him so he can add PDFs, pics, etc? Can I simply put on jump drive and deliver it? If so, do I just need the .web file or all htm files as well? I have always put all my xara web files under Owner's Documents--is this necessary?
    Thank you so much for you help!
    Nita, it depends what you mean by easiest.
    If you have a competent customer, put the .web file in a password-protected folder in the site domain or in a cloud-based shared location.
    Sell the Customer a copy of your Xara editing tools and the training for its use.
    Teach the Customer the merits of backups (soon forgotten (by all)).

Split the site into two .web files, one for you and one for the Customer.
    You set up the page links one and the Customer can publish to their heart's content.

I don't recognise the "Owner's documents" as a Xara concept but as you are being paid, the Customer needs to have access to his/her design as he/she can cut away at any point, subject to contract.

The content you need is the .web file and all external files used so the PDFs as well if they are linked to from the site.

Acorn
    Acorn - installed Xara software: Cloud+/Pro+ and most others back through time (to CC's Artworks). Contact for technical remediation/consultancy for your web designs.
    When we provide assistance, your responses are valuable as they benefit the community. TG Nuggets you might like. Report faults: Xara Cloud+/Pro+/Magix Legacy; Xara KB & Chat

In the past, I have got my client to buy a copy of Xara, and then share a Dropbox folder with them to share the project files.

Job done!