Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I'm having what seems to be an age-old problem -print services requesting files in pdf format.
    <p>I've done a fair bit of digging in these forums and found a lot of references to using Ghostscript and/or pdfFactory but they only got me part of the way there. Most of the discussions were older (2-3 years) and I was hoping for a bit of an updated solution.
    <p>I downloaded the pdfFactory trial version and it seems pretty straightforward but I'm not happy with the results - lots of jaggies, etc. I tried unclicking the "downsample to 96dpi" box and even upping things to 600dpi - this helps but still not great. Am I missing something? This program seems very user friendly but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
    <p>For Ghostscript, I'm running into tons of problems just getting the software. I'm unclear as to how exactly I'm supposed to even download the program. The vast majority of the links I try are either dead or they freeze up my computer. I (think I) finally got it (version 8.50 from Atlanta??) but when I try to unzip the program I just get this huge folder with tons of code - I can't find anything that looks like (or is) an install or user guide. I'm not a programmer, do I need to be to use this software?
    <p>I have XaraX and CorelDraw working on Windows XP. I'm a semi-amateur part-time designer that does the occasional pro job. I'm pretty comfortable with XaraX but I'm not a heavy tech guy. Most of my work is web-based so I run into more problems when doing for-print work.
    <p>Does anyone have any more up-to-date info on how to export to pdf? Any tips on using pdfFactory for better results? Any EASY ways to get/install/use Ghostscript? Thanks in advance for you assistance. This forum is fantastic - I've used it many times in the past to learn and to figure out problems just by following other threads. Thanks to all who keep this forum alive, draven

I'm having what seems to be an age-old problem -print services requesting files in pdf format.
    <p>I've done a fair bit of digging in these forums and found a lot of references to using Ghostscript and/or pdfFactory but they only got me part of the way there. Most of the discussions were older (2-3 years) and I was hoping for a bit of an updated solution.
    <p>I downloaded the pdfFactory trial version and it seems pretty straightforward but I'm not happy with the results - lots of jaggies, etc. I tried unclicking the "downsample to 96dpi" box and even upping things to 600dpi - this helps but still not great. Am I missing something? This program seems very user friendly but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.
    <p>For Ghostscript, I'm running into tons of problems just getting the software. I'm unclear as to how exactly I'm supposed to even download the program. The vast majority of the links I try are either dead or they freeze up my computer. I (think I) finally got it (version 8.50 from Atlanta??) but when I try to unzip the program I just get this huge folder with tons of code - I can't find anything that looks like (or is) an install or user guide. I'm not a programmer, do I need to be to use this software?
    <p>I have XaraX and CorelDraw working on Windows XP. I'm a semi-amateur part-time designer that does the occasional pro job. I'm pretty comfortable with XaraX but I'm not a heavy tech guy. Most of my work is web-based so I run into more problems when doing for-print work.
    <p>Does anyone have any more up-to-date info on how to export to pdf? Any tips on using pdfFactory for better results? Any EASY ways to get/install/use Ghostscript? Thanks in advance for you assistance. This forum is fantastic - I've used it many times in the past to learn and to figure out problems just by following other threads. Thanks to all who keep this forum alive, draven

andalucía · españa and lower saxony · germany

Welcome to the forum, Draven!

Downloading GhostScript can be tricky. You have to search for the 32bit Windows installer or sometimes called Binary. It's an *.exe file and will install itself into the correct directory.

In addition you should dl GhostView (GSView) which will make your life a lot easier.

Seems you have downloaded the files for Linux - and those won't work on a Windows machine unless you should have Cygwin ;-}

Use this link to download GhostScript for Windows:

ftp://mirror.cs.wisc.edu/pub/mirrors...0/gs850w32.exe

For information about GSView and downloads use this link:

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/gsview/index.htm

If you need more info, let me know.
    --------------------//--
    We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.
    --------------------//--

Hi draven,

If it helps I use a program call primopdf. I have had great results with it. As far as your jagged edge problem, have you tried printing a pdf file that you created. I ask becouse when I view my pdf files they have jagged edges but when I print them they come out great.

Quinn

Hi Draven,
    Welcome to TalkGraphics! I noticed you said you used CorelDraw. Depending on what version you are using ... Corel can make a pretty good PDF file. I have sent them to a variety of print shops with no problem.

Go to FILE, PUBLISH TO PDF, and select the PDF/X-1 option ... that should work fine http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Corel_PDF.jpg 
Views:	369 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	1271  

Draven

I really don't know what is supposed to be so wonderful about pdfFactory. I always use CutePDF Writer which is does exactly the same thing but WITHOUT opening a web page that you have to close before you can see what you've created. With CutePDF you get what you've created without the annoying adverts or web pages opening up. Quite simply, there are none!

I know that Jens is a great fan of GhostScript but I've never managed to get it going on my PC. However, why should I bother with GhostScript when CutePDF does everything I want AND uses Ghostscript. Everything is installed correctly as a printer driver and a text file is provided telling you how to change the parameters to use according to the type of PDF you wish to create.

I've never tried it but you're supposed to be able to change the resolution of the PDF created as well as several other parameters.

CutePDF installs preset to produce high quality PDFs. Certainly whenever I've checked graphics for "jaggies", they are always very negligible, certainly no worse than Distiller and are perfectly suitable for sending to a printer. If you want to try CutePDF, go to www.cutepdf.com and check out CutePDF Writer, a free program - you shouldn't be disappointed!

Tracey

PS Before you start producing any PDF it may be wise to find out what version of PDF your printer wants. A printer that we send PDF files to each month still wants PDF1.2 which is the version produced by Acrobat 3.0!!!

Thanks to all - Jens, Quinn, OklaEd, & traceyp for your suggestions. I tried them all (for the most part) with varying success. The best way to go seems to be with CutePDF (although that name makes me cringe) - it was easy to download, FREE!, and works just fine. I've tried a few items and so far no problems whatsoever. It's quick, all my fonts and graphics come out right, and stuff prints great. Thanks, especially to traceyp for the tip.