Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

I am doing the latest tutorial for Xara X, (as of 11-23-00)
    And I am stuck on step two where you are supposed to use the shape editor tool to round the corners.

I am unable to delete the points as indicated in step two. Either the entire selected shape disappears, or the new line joining the elliptical shape to the rectangle shape disappears, not the corner section that I want to remove.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

Patrick Lockwood

I am doing the latest tutorial for Xara X, (as of 11-23-00)
    And I am stuck on step two where you are supposed to use the shape editor tool to round the corners.

I am unable to delete the points as indicated in step two. Either the entire selected shape disappears, or the new line joining the elliptical shape to the rectangle shape disappears, not the corner section that I want to remove.

What am I doing wrong?

TIA,

Patrick Lockwood

It sounds to me like you're deleting by pressing the delete key in pointer mode; in this case, even if you have a line control point selected, the whole shape will be deleted.

If you go into the line editor tool, the delete key will affect the selected point(s) instead. Or you can use the delete button on the line editor toolbar.

It might be a good idea to change the interface to prevent this confusion; after all, Modal Interfaces Are Bad. OTOH I'm quite used to the way it works at the moment. Hmm. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

There's a strong possibility you could be using the freehand tool or the Pen tool instead of the shape tool. These, when chosen, will still leave the appearance of nodes on the object. Use the shape tool (squiggly line). It's easy to confuse them. I can't see the pick tool as being the culprit, as it will only give you a bounding box.

I could be wrong as well.

Wayne

[This message was edited by ivca on November 24, 2000 at 09:02 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shape_tool.gif 
Views:	400 
Size:	10.4 KB 
ID:	5081  

Quote from IVCA:
    I can't see the pick tool as being the culprit, as it will only give you a bounding box.

That is not allways true IVCA.
    Did you ever click the second button on the infobar [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    More than that: the selector tool has some of the fuctionality of the shape editor tool.
    Sometimes handy,perhaps, but it can be confusing.
    Especially when you try to delete a point.

[This message was edited by René van der Houwen on November 25, 2000 at 01:37 AM.]

[This message was edited by René van der Houwen on November 25, 2000 at 01:39 AM.]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I am unable to delete the points as indicated in step two. Either the entire selected shape disappears, or the new line joining the elliptical shape to the rectangle shape disappears, not the corner section that I want to remove.

What am I doing wrong?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if you have not marquee selected all the nodes--instead of selecting one at a time. And then when you hit Delete all the nodes are deleted and the object disappears.

Click one only the node you want to delete with the Shape Editor Tool (the one with the squiggly line).

Or you can marquee select (drag a rectangular shape around using the Shape Editor Tool) a group of nodes and delete them.

Does this help?

All of my tutorials come with a full, money back guaranty. If you are not 100% satisfied, you can get a full and cheerful refund [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Gary

Gary Priester

Moderator Person

Be It Every So Humble...

Your absolutely right about that, Rene and i was a little hasty to narrow it down like that. I took the visual route based on the fact that our friend Patrick (might have been) a newbie and might have mixed up the tool icons. The infor bar wasn't mentioned in the tutorial. But you know what? Thanks for mentioning that tidbit. I'll be using that handy feature more often in the future.

Humbly, Wayne