Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Want To Try FileZilla To Upload My Website, but, I have some questions?

Hello again Zaphodeist, here are how I have the pages set up in the "Navigation Bar Properties Window"

Button & Menus URL ToolTip

Home Page 1
    About Lillie Page 2
    Course Info Page 3
    Real Estate Training Page 4
    Teachers Training Page 5
    Contact Us Page 6
    Power News Page 7

Note that I did not call page 1 (index_html_files). I just called it "Home/Page 1". I am not certain whether this makes a major difference or not. It would be noteworthy to me if it did. I will certainly be looking for files that are similar to the one's you have on the link you were kind enough to send me. I will be back in touch. Bob
    IP

Default Re: Want To Try FileZilla To Upload My Website, but, I have some questions?

A) index_html_files is a folder that Xara produces containing resource files - images, JavaScript, for instance - you don't have to worry about that for now.

B) Your home page must be called index - see my post #15 on this thread. It is called this because when someone visits your website their browser will be looking for it.
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

OK I'm going back and do that. I will re-name my home page and see what happens from there. The cable/internet repair person is here now, but as soon as he is through I am quick to rename my home page to index_html. Thanks much for your quick response. I do appreciate. bob
    IP

Just call it "index" no need to add the .html
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

OK and my Christmas gift may be getting my website up and running for this wonderful holiday. Bob
    IP

Fingers crossed
    IP

Zaphodeist, I love the fact that you and others here have a great sense of humor. That's so wonderful and makes it much easier to come here and get what I need to get up and running. I am not there yet and there is still some frustration, but, I am closer than I've been in the past and that''s great!!! Thanks much. Bob
    IP

I did not want to, but I am going to ask this question because I don't know what the answer is. Does it make any difference what i save my website as? In other words, can I save it as newpathwaysconsultants or should I save it as index.html or index_html, etc? Finally, should should the "Save As Type" be All Files (**) or Xara Web Designer Premier (*.Web) or does it really matter? Thanks much all. Bob
    IP

When you create a website you want to save it as a .web file (or .xar file when you are using XDP) so that you can edit your website later on.

When publishing (which is a special way of exporting) your website, the Xara software converts all graphic elements into a set of .htm files (one per web page) and puts all other support elements (such as the pictures and javascript files) in an accompanying folder. When someone wants to visit your website (let's say with domain: www.yourwebsite.com) the browser needs to know which of all the pages it has to open first. You of course want the visitor to see your home page first and the industry default name for this page is "index.htm" (or "index.html") but "home.htm" is also used. Note that the support folder's name contains the name of your home page. So, typically it is called "index_htm_files".

You can also export your website to another file type and this depends on your need. You could export it as a .jpeg and print it out, for instance, but also as a .pdf file and browse through it using a .pdf viewer. You could try the various export formats and see what you get.
    IP

Boy, thank you for taking the time to respond. I am very pleased that you and others have reached out to help a complete novice get on the right path to publishing a website. Bob
    IP