Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Want To Try FileZilla To Upload My Website, but, I have some questions?

The ones with the Chrome symbol will be .htm files - the web pages that will be seen on your site. The duplicates are puzzling as if they have the same name and file extension one will over-ride the other. Have you any facility on your computer for taking screenshots? It would be handy if you have because then we could see what you see.

Also, can you see file extensions - .htm, .js, .txt etc - if not you should enable that ... which Windows operating system are you using?

If you can't see the extensions :-

How to in W7 - http://askabouttech.com/how-to-show-...-in-windows-7/

How to in W8 - http://en.kioskea.net/faq/28650-wind...ile-extensions
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Default Re: Want To Try FileZilla To Upload My Website, but, I have some questions?

Good Thursday Morning To You Zaphodeist and thank you very much for this response. I've got to admit, I had no idea why the Chrome symbols were showing up and thought that was a major problem. Shows you how much I know computers in general and Xara Premium 7 in particular. By the way, I am using Widows 7 home edition. Tell me, why are the extensions you mention so important using Xara Premium 7? Shouldn't Windows 7 produce these extensions automatically where I would not have to worry about them? Thank you for the links you provided.

Every bit of information I am getting here is more than useful, exciting, and I am learning a great deal. Everyone here is a "help mate" and I am more than pleased. No one here makes those like myself who are in the dark feel dumb and I love that about this group. After I take my car to the shop to get oil gaskets replaced, I will return home and further explore this information. Thanks so much.
    IP

And good morning to you too Windows should show file extensions by default but it doesn't ... reasoning I can't fathom. File extensions are useful in this case as you can tell what kind of files are in your local folder [you would know then that the Chrome symbol related to htm for instance] that is, the files your project file produced, and then be able to compare them to those already uploaded, some of which may be unnecessary.

Everyone here was "dumb" at first [I still am!], best thing to do is ask when you need to. In fact, although it's good to try getting the drift of something first and trying it yourself, it's better to ask sooner rather than later before too many errors muddy the water totally imho . And it's often difficult to use search facilities if one doesn't know the terminology of what to search for.
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64
    IP

Well everyone here is what's happening now. Zaphodeist thank you for the links. That was an interesting experience. Here is what I found in my "new folder" which held the following files:

index-home-htm
    index_htm_web
    fifth page.htm (Google chrome)
    first page.htm (Google Chrome)
    fourth page.htm (Google Chrome)
    index-home.htm (Google Chrome)
    index.htm.web (xara web doc)
    robots.TXT (Text doc)
    second page.htm (Google Chrome)
    second page_1.htm (Google Chrome)
    seventh page.htm (Google Chrome)
    sitemap.xml (xml doc)

This was the folder I uploaded when trying to publish my website. I used Xara premium 7 as well as FileZilla and neither worked. I am certain there was something I left out.

I also notice from time to time I get and error message stating: "failed to copy the XAR files support folder"
    And I am still getting this message when I try to upload website: Cannot find server
    Not to worry, I am a "stick-to-it" kind of person. And eventually, I will get this website up and running. I'm still on it!
    Last edited by musicmanbob; 20 December 2013 at 02:44 AM.
    IP

I'm sure you can do it! One thing, when a browser is directed to your site it looks for the index.htm file, which isn't there. The first page of your site in Xara - the one people will see first - should be called index. I know you'll think I'm a pain but what I would do is delete everything in that folder and in the relevant folder on-line. Making sure your first page is called index, export to the local folder again and use Filezilla to publish again. Clean install as it were

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	filename.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	33.8 KB 
ID:	99880

Re: "failed to copy the XAR files support folder" - that folder is usually created when you have added an MPEG4 or similar. Try exporting/publishing again and see.

NB - Don't upload the local folder itself, just everything in it ;-)
    IP

Hello again Zaphodeist,
    Fact is I don't think you are a pain. I am sure you are a very patient person who must have taught school as some point. At any rate I am going to read your comments and go back and apply them. Thank you so much and I appreciate you being up late enough to reply. Bob
    IP

Hi Bob! I've got good news ... I think! The Xara developers have released a free update addressing the publishing problem so with a bit of luck you won't need the extra hassle of learning Filezilla as well [straight forward enough when you get the drift of it but an extra layer you don't need at the moment].

In Xara go to Help>>Check for Updates... and the program will do the rest.

Still got to change your first page to be called Index as above, still got to export locally to the folder, still use Filezilla to delete everything previously uploaded to clear it out [only this once, this stage won't be needed everytime], but then just use the Publish feature in Xara.
    IP

Smile Re: Want To Try FileZilla To Upload My Website, but, I have some questions?

Hey, Hey, Hey, and good Friday morning to you. First of all, I took your advice regarding finding a way to be able to provide "screen shots" so that you all would know what I am trying to describe. Well, I ordered and now have a program called Pick Pick. Of course I've got to learn how to use it. And thank you so much for alerting me of the recent update to my Xara program. I've got to pick up my car from repair and will return home shortly when I will begin downloading the upgrades to Xara. I will be back here with the latest word. Again, Thank you so much and things are looking up. Bob
    IP

Hi Bob! Here's an example from a site of mine, yours should look like this online at your host [different page names of course] :

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	example.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	99967

I looked at your site through the link you provided. It opens on a page titled "index.htm Page 7". The navbar links return 404 errors for the other pages which usually means they don't exist in the same online folder as your index.htm file. The home page file name should be index with a title of your choice - Musicman Bob perhaps. The other pages should have relevant names but you can call them page 2, page 3, page 4, ...etc if you like.

Hope this helps.

PS You might notice I have my .xar file there - the project file from my version of Xara. This is NOT compulsory ... it's a copy I put on line in case I lose the original
    IP

Good Monday Morning to you Zaphodeist and thank you very much for responding. You've provided great information and now I know what I should be looking for. I am headed to my church now to open up and let the cleaning person in. I will be back about noon or so and will post how I've assigned the pages in my Nav Bar Properties. I am not certain, but that may make a difference. See you later. Bob
    IP