Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Publish/ upload timeout error Web Designer 7 Premium AAARGH - HELP!!!

Can anyone help?

For the past month or so I have been getting 'Timeout Errors' when trying to upload changes to the websites I have created using Xara Web Designer 7 Premium. Uploads are done via the interface within Xara WD7 Premium

I have persevered so far and sooner or later it eventually works although it does result in the websites going down immediately due to the failure in upload and it can take a few days to finally work but NOW it is happening virtually all the time. I AM GETTIN REALLY ANNOYED NOW !!!!

This evening I have added three simple optimised photo's to one page of one of the websites I have created which is actually my brothers company (thank god) and I had ticked to box to only re-publish the changed page/file thinking it would speed the upload up but yet again I find after sitting here trying for over 2 hours it still will not upload.

The timeout error can happen anywhere between 0% upload and 98 % upload and basically ONCE AGAIN this has resulted in one of my websites NOT WORKING AT ALL or only partial working with nothing but gobeldegook appearing even at a 0% failure.

I am at my witts end now not only is this embarrasing and loosing us customers/readers but I am at the stage now that I do not feel confident in using Xara WD7 at all now to create websites in good faith for other people.

I have no idea whether Xara is actually at fault, or whether it's my 10meg Virgin media broadband that is suddenly affecting uploads (although I don't have any problems doing anything) or maybe it could even the Easyspace hosting packages and servers that all 6 are hosted on but then again we have never ever had any problems with those either.

I'm sorry for the long moan but I'm sure you can all appreciate that having a websites that suddenly go down and are rendered useless and totally inacessible at the click of a button and for minor changes due to unexpected 'time out errors' all the time is rather frustrating !!

Can anyone help please ... rant over ... sorry

Default Re: Publish/ upload timeout error Web Designer 7 Premium AAARGH - HELP!!!

Amber sorry to hear about your problem. Have you tried using a 3rd party FTP application like FileZilla?

Also what is your internet connection speed? If you are on an aDSL (asynchronous Digital Subscriber Loop) your upload speed can be much slower than your download speed. From your description of the problem your web host is expecting to receive data at a higher data rate than it is getting. You can contact your web host and find out if they can make allowances.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Default Re: Publish/ upload timeout error Web Designer 7 Premium AAARGH - HELP!!!

Hi Soquili

Thanks for you quick reply. Like I say am getting a bit stressed out by this all the time so sorry for my rant.

I am on Virgin Media's 10 meg fibre optic broadband connection (not ASDL) and I'm not sure what download/upload speeds that should give me so I will check... but until recently I have never had any problems altering or uploading my Xara websites.

I just turned off my Virgin Media security as a last resort (malware, web checker and also firewall which I know is not a good idea but I am getting desperate now) incase it was that and I it did upload (sort of) and without the timeout eror at first . I selected 'changed files only' but a few pages were still odd so I then tried again using 'changed only' and got the damn timout again. I also tried uploading the whole thing and got timeout then too so I'm back to stage one again ie : timeout and the whole wensite has gone to pot again.

So near and yet so far eh....... bugger !!!

I will contact Easyspace tomorrow to ask their advice but as I have never had any problems with them in the many years we have used them I really can't see it being that but up until a year ago we used their own web design software, but worth a try.

It's just so damn annoying that a two minute change to a website can result in so many hours of frustration trying to click a button upload it.

I will try using the Filezilla FTP application tomorrow that you suggest as it;s getting a bit late now. Is that free or do you have to buy it? Also is it as easy to use as the Xara interface and would I just use the same ftp address/unsername/password.location as I do when using Xara.

Many thanks and I really dont want to stop using Xara as it's been great so far and I have told other people to buy and use it so I hope they don't start getting the same sort of errors or they will be out to get me.

Many thanks

Amber, check this support knowledge base article from Xara on this subject.

http://support.xara.com/index.php?_m...2836&nav=0,477

It's well worth optimising your images within the document first, before publishing.

To do this open your website doc and go to Utilities - Optimise all JPEGs and click Optimise, leaving all default settings as they are.

Once that's done click OK, then immediately save your document and close the program.

Re-open the program and then try publishing your site.

If you still encounter a timeout issue I'd suggest following the Xara KB that Sledger posted a link to and submitting it to Xara's tech support.

I'm using WD9 Premium and had no problems with FTP until I linked a web page image to a 23 meg PDF file. I immediately started seeing time-out errors using the built-in FTP utility. I've tried reducing the PDF size (got it down to 4 megs) and still no luck. I've tried unlinking the file (do nothing!) and it still fails. I do see that even though I've unlinked the file, Xara still tries to upload the PDF file.

I think this is the issue, perhaps due to the "undo" feature of the program that might still be "saving" the too-large PDF file (as imbedded in the webpage?) when trying to upload?

I'll post whatever gets this resolved.

Jeack

What you might try is publishing a very small PDF to your site, let's say the file name is file.ftp.

Then manually replace the file.ftp with the actual sized file.

You would need Filezilla or any FTP program to upload the large pdf file. You will find the published pdf file in the index_htm_files folder.

I solved the time-out problem.

Apparently, WD9 puts all the files EVER used for the website in a folder called "web_files". And even though I had the FTP parameter set to publish "new files only", the transfer process always wanted to upload an "old" 4.8 meg PDF file (which timed out the web host server).

I replaced the two oversize PDF files with new files (keeping the same names) both with sizes no larger than about 500k.

Xara built-in FTP publishing immediately started working again.

Since I had completely changed the PDF file being referred to, I then deleted the two previous PDF files from the "web_files" folder on my hard drive, and everything re-published just fine.

The two oversize PDF files were no longer in the "web_files" folder on my hard drive, the newly changed PDF file was now IN that folder, and FTP is working normally.

Hopefully this will be of some help to others.

Jeack http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/s...miley-grin.png