Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
First, full OpenType support? Are you mad, Jim? (I've watched a bit of Star Trek lately...)

Should this be in the Dear Xara forum? Not that it isn't in at least one or two wish-lists already.

If Xara would like to see a decent implementation of OT features for a design application, CDX6 would fill the bill. It could be better, but it is intuitive. Same goes for PagePlus which is more ID like in its implementation.
For graphic design and typography xara is not the answer to indesign and adobe. Im looking into serif and it seems decent but somewhat lacking. Corel really does look like the only real alternative to adobes quality and wide product line. I have high hopes for corels next coreldraw x7 and word perfect office in the next few months. They may just knock your socks off.

Xaras lack of text heavy tools maybe why ive never heard any one speak extremely high of xara. Maybe if xara for vector and photo and serif for DTP joined forces and merged as 1 company they could seriously compete with adobe and corel. Right now they seem like children compared to adobe. Corel at least seems like a young adult catching up with adobe. I wonder if any one else is noticing that corel is buying up companies to expand its reach and range of products as win zip, roxy and pinnacle/avids prosumer video/audio tools. Looks like corel is really trying to push into the video/audio sector. Corel at least has an answer to pretty much every adobe product. Some are not yet able to compete with adobe but they at least have something.

Unfortunately I think xara customers are going to be disappointed sine xara just releases designer x9 and page and layout designer this year and only a few months ago and probably no way they or any software developer would release another edition in under 1 year or even 1.5 years so will have to wait at least 1 year from now for those needed Open Type and advanced type tools.