Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default XAML Support (again)

Hi,

I use Xara for design work and am also a professional SW developer who has been developing in WPF for 5 years. It would be so good if Xara could export data directly to XAML, rather than having to go via an intermediate format. Searching in the forum reveals that this has come up several times and there have been a few hints that it might be about to be supported, but then nothing. Did anything ever happen? Are there any plans to support it?

Please add my vote to the list if such a thing exists.

Thanks,

Max

Default Re: XAML Support (again)

There were several projects in the works before Xara was acquired by Magix. I think that Magix's philosophy is to focus on your core strength so most of these projects were put on hold or discontinued. Xara is a smallish company and has limited resources so it makes sense for Xara not to spread itself thin.

Sound like without more people requesting this it's dead.

I wonder what progress was made behind the scenes...

NB a long time ago I got a job offer from Xara so know what a small company it is. Great location and amazing what they produced given the team size.

Well, perhaps you should have accepted that job offer.

This would be a really good feature to have. I work on software design and development and I know this could save development time for software companies. Also strategically this could be good as its something Adobe won't do and only Microsoft do with Blend. Which means this software could have another advantage over Adobe products.

It's a niche - important to those involved with Microsoft technologies, of little interest to anyone else.

I think you'll find a lot of people have to design/develop to fit around Microsoft technologies. After all over 90% of people use their products and work in their environment.

I think you'll find a lot of people have to design/develop to fit around Microsoft technologies.
    Yes, you're right, but they are a subset of the web development community overall. A lot of people for sure, but only a small proportion of the overall web development community and a very small proportion of the target market for Xara/Magix.

I have no doubt that it's important to those involved with that technology.

After all over 90% of people use their products and work in their environment.

Yes, but the majority of websites that those users are accessing aren't built using Microsoft technologies - not that it matters. It's the development community within the target Xara/Magix market that counts and the people using Xara-based tools with Microsoft technologies reliant on xaml is small.

I'm not knocking your request - you are a niche Xara user.

I've been doing a bit of research and have found little support for software design. It would make sense for a company to use the same software to design their websites/apps/software before it goes to the developers. If a design software could output the graphics/styles etc that would be a massive time saver

This is a bit of a global issue on how companies work but I've noticed that there is an age old separation between designers and developers when there shouldn't be.