Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Slightly obscure question, from a non-Photoshop owner (and I've not yet installed my copy of Elements)...

I know CS (and PS7/PSE3 to a lesser extent) has support for 16-bit images. I'm curious whether it has the option to use a 10-bit display mode (A2R10G10B10/A2B10G10R10) - DirectX currently supports it, although not in a window, so it would have to be full-screen. Photoshop documentation is a little sparse on the Adobe site (it's surprisingly hard to find out what it can do without buying it).

I know Matrox produced the Gigacolor plug-in a few years back when the Parhelia first appeared, but most modern graphics cards now support the same high colour depth, and the API is there. I've not heard anything about it since, though.

Just wondering... Anyone?

--
    Fluppet
    IP

Slightly obscure question, from a non-Photoshop owner (and I've not yet installed my copy of Elements)...

I know CS (and PS7/PSE3 to a lesser extent) has support for 16-bit images. I'm curious whether it has the option to use a 10-bit display mode (A2R10G10B10/A2B10G10R10) - DirectX currently supports it, although not in a window, so it would have to be full-screen. Photoshop documentation is a little sparse on the Adobe site (it's surprisingly hard to find out what it can do without buying it).

I know Matrox produced the Gigacolor plug-in a few years back when the Parhelia first appeared, but most modern graphics cards now support the same high colour depth, and the API is there. I've not heard anything about it since, though.

Just wondering... Anyone?

--
    Fluppet
    IP

yes it does.

:-)
    IP

Thanks. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Could someone please elaborate? Which versions (of Photoshop, Elements, the rest of CS) support this? What's the interface (does it let you specify a mode for full screen use)?

I'd rather not install have to install the trial version to find out the answer, and I've failed miserably at finding any reference to it on Adobe's site (if someone can give me a pointer to some documentation, at least of this feature, I'd be very grateful).

Thanks again,

--
    Fluppet
    IP

Sorry to reply to myself, but one follow-up question: when editing deep images in a 24-bit display mode (or a 30-bit one, for that matter), does Photoshop dither when displaying the image or just round to the nearest available colour?

My thanks to anyone who can help.

--
    Fluppet
    IP

Er. Thenark (or anyone else), could you give me some more information please?

I've now, against my better judgement ( http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif ) installed the demo of CS. I can find no mention in any documentation of either Gigacolor or high display depth support, and no way to select the screen mode used in full screen mode (it uses the current mode, as far as I can tell). Because the Windows desktop doesn't support the high colour modes, there's no way to switch into the right mode beforehand.

I've still not found any suggestion elsewhere, including the documentation in Photoshop itself, that this support exists (but relatively little that it doesn't - the only thing I've found is a suggestion that Photoshop dithers when in 8-bit mode and that there's no way to make 48-bit images obviously different from 24-bit ones without stretching the colour space).

Any information would be very welcome here.

--
    Fluppet
    IP

Just to close off the topic, I threw the same question at the forum on Adobe's site. Apparently (according to an Adobe developer) Photoshop doesn't support 30-bit modes, but it does dither high depth images into 24-bit.

Thought I'd add this in case someone asks the same question of a search engine one day. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

--
    Fluppet
    IP