Thanks Sledger.

I thought I was going to be able to fix it by eliminating all live effects - I was able to export (pdf) 4 of 5 pages. The troublesome page had to be sent to AI and exported from there. Boy, I'm sure glad that I have that capability, as I'd be rather hooped without it.

I did discover a bit of a bug in this process, however. I had made frames around all images. The frames were bevelled, and dropshadowed. After the export issues, I went through and eliminated these live effects. On the pages that did export, I found that a few of these 'frames' fill looked like a poorly tracked video image (dashed random coloured lines rather than the flat grey intended).

So I checked these 'frames' back in Xara, and found that the bevel group was still associated with the geometry. Even though when I entered the bevel dialogue while the frame was selected, the bevel dialogue showed that there was none associated. THIS IS THE BUG. I was able to eliminate the association by applying a new bevel and then switching it back to None.

Perhaps others might find this helpful. And I hope Xara reads this and fixes it.

Thanks!