Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Question Looking for HTML5 Web Gallery to use with DPX9

I've just purchased DPX9 and getting acquainted with the web design features.

I made this web gallery a few years ago using NetObjects Fusion and ShadowBox.

I do very few websites and am trying to use DPX9 to replace Fusion. My plan is to update the site using DPX9 but this time I also want a gallery than behaves similarly to what you see but that the user can update on their own.

The closest I could find in DPX9 is the "Gallery Slideshow (5 col)" widget but in addition to not being user updatable, it doesn't offer much fine grain control (can't change size/colour/transparency of shadows, no captions, can't set background darkness on popup, only preset number of columns, can't etc.)

Can anyone recommend a good gallery that would be easy to integrate into XDP9? Something like Juicebox looks promising but their demos don't seem to indicate that I can get the thumbnail/popup behaviour I'm looking for. Also, I'm not clear users can update their own Juicebox galleries or not.

Anyway, I thought I'd ask those here with more experience than I if they have any suggestions for me.

Thanks!

Default Re: Looking for HTML5 Web Gallery to use with DPX9

The simplest thing is to create your own using pop up layers. I have done something like this here http://gwpriester.com/Logo-Design.html

Create your thumbnails and place them on the mouse off layer. Create new layers (one for each image) and link the thumbs to the pop up layers. Using this method you can take advantage of the mouse over layer as well as I have done here http://placitasartists.com/index.html except instead of linking to the galleries you link to the images.

I still use NOF 12 but only for a few large legacy site. I have converted almost all of my sites to Xara sites.

Thanks for the reply Gary. But, that doesn't seem to address my need to have the user update the site on their own.

When creating galleries manually, edits/additions quickly become tedious when frequent updates are required. Also, it's a hassle (and cost) for users to have to contact a 3rd party (me!) whenever they want to make changes.

The challenge I'm having with DPX9's included features (such as widgets and pop-up photo links) is that very little fine grained control over the final appearance is offered. I have to accept the default style and can't tweak it to make it look/behave the way I want it to. Pop-up layers offer more control but are very labour intensive when dealing with large galleries needing frequent edits.

Because of the above, I'm looking for external solutions that give me both more control over the final look (eg: ShadowBox et al.) but also address my additional desire to have the user update source photos on their own. In other words: I want to design the precise look/behaviour of the gallery but leave the uploading and captioning of the source photos to the client.

Perhaps that clarifies a bit. Anyway, that's my end game and I'm just trying to source as many opinions as possible as I imagine other have wrestled with this before I have.

Thanks again!

Ah, yes. Sorry I missed the part about letting users make changes. The only way to do this natively in Xara is for members to have their own copies and of course be familiar with the program.

XTom, Xara user and TG member has a program that works with Xara products and permits client/member changes http://www.xt-cms.com/