Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Table

Default Re: Table

I just get assets from clients in PDF form and they aren't so well behaved when imported to illustrator. They always look right but the text is usually broken into lines or parts of lines.

That I can understand. I think there's more to Illustrator-generated PDFs than meets the eye. Perhaps something in both the program and file to aid round-tripping, not included in the official ISO standard. The files that retain their text boxes correctly when imported back into Illustrator have the effects you describe when imported into Xara.
    Tony

There is nothing special in AI about opening PDFs from other sources. They are opened typically like Xara opens them.

What there is in a PDF is a private use area. And applications *can* write their own data into it. As far as I know, only Adobe applications can do this. And it is a switch inside of AI to do this and can be turned off (it bloats the file size).

Adobe personnel (like the architect of PDFs, Dov Isaacs) will be the first to tell you that PDFs were never intended to be edited. Never. It is a presentational, fixed and final form document container. But there is no "ISO standard" that specifies the editing of a PDF.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    Adobe personnel (like the architect of PDFs, Dov Isaacs) will be the first to tell you that PDFs were never intended to be edited.
    i can vouch for that
    i have acrobat 9 pro extended
    and even with its own program pdfs are a pig to edit
    its always better to edit the original document and reconvert to pdf
    but i know sometimes this isnt possible
    eg i create invoices from sage as pdfs (usind acrobat printer) but then some i have to edit with info that sage cannot generate
    i dont enjoy it
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I had complained about the PDF being broken up in another thread. Interestingly - importing the same PDF into Word and reading the Word file in XDPX9 worked and I got text blocks.
    Grace
    http://gracehjs.com/
    Xara Software XDP11

Quote Originally Posted by mwenz View Post
    There is nothing special in AI about opening PDFs from other sources. They are opened typically like Xara opens them.

What there is in a PDF is a private use area. And applications *can* write their own data into it. As far as I know, only Adobe applications can do this. And it is a switch inside of AI to do this and can be turned off (it bloats the file size).

Adobe personnel (like the architect of PDFs, Dov Isaacs) will be the first to tell you that PDFs were never intended to be edited. Never. It is a presentational, fixed and final form document container. But there is no "ISO standard" that specifies the editing of a PDF.

Mike
    What I would have liked to say, but so much better said! Didn't know for sure about the private use area but it did seem likely.
    Tony

So, in the end, can someone summarise the approaches to maintaining Tables in Xara?
    1. Use MS Excel for data loading and copy CSV data into the Xara Widget.
    2. Use MS Excel/Word for data and presentation and copy & paste or export as PDF - effectively maintaining a master file.
    3. Use Google Sheet or Docs in a similar fashion.
    4. Create your own HTML table with CSS in a Placeholder.
    5. IFRAME or jQuery .load() to an external file.
    6. Create natively in Xara.
    7. Another thematic approach.
    Here is my view on Option 1 - Widget:
    • CSV fails with quoted text with lots of commas(",,,,") - try Text tool > Alt+Shift+L.
    • Once save, all Widget undos are lost so recovering back will require site undos.
    • Can be easily broken - 600 Rows to display without adding the rows.
    • All of two themes.
    • No Xara styles (e.g., transparency fails, fonts fail, sizing fails, effects fail).
    • One good gimmick - column header ordering - why no table filtering?
    • CONCLUSION - I would build a table with Option 4 instead.

Acorn

Tabs. Simple. Easy to edit. Native to Xara. You can make the table as fancy or not as you want.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	table.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	97848  

Quote Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
    So, in the end, can someone summarise the approaches to maintaining Tables in Xara?
    Acorn
    I think you've done a pretty good job of summarising yourself!
    For me it partly depends on work flow. Large tables, which may have to be reviewed by others and changes incorporated, I'd tend to use Excel for this part of the process.
    Then when finalised, copy and paste as RTF into a text area.
    Smaller tables I'd create directly into a text area. Have also been experimenting with using one text area per cell. This needs careful planning but is easier to update as changes occur
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Tabs. Simple. Easy to edit. Native to Xara. You can make the table as fancy or not as you want.
    Gary, Tabs are not simple:
    • Create me a grid.
    • Replace any of your text areas with Ctrl+Shift+L ipsum lorem and try to reformat.
    • Add a new column for 100 rows.
    • Delete a column.
    • Double your font size.
    • Colour the second column data red.
    • Swap two columns' data.

Tabs do not a table make.

The closest I have managed is:
    1. Create a box.
    2. Colour and add a border.
    3. Convert to editable shapes
    4. Name it Box.
    5. Place a text line inside.
    6. Name it Textbox.
    7. In the Names gallery, make Textbox 'stretch' Box.
    8. You now have a stretchy cell.

With more Xara magic you can group these cells into a row where if one grows down the others follow and the converse.
    Stack these rows on top of each other, with use of repel text and you have got a table where each cell can be altered to suit for border, colour, font, size, tab, ...

Not simple, not still a table, but most of a table's features.
    If you view a cell as the smallest atomic part then a table mostly follows.

Acorn