Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

What's this new icon that pop's up rarely in the lower right....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	doofahchy.png 
Views:	452 
Size:	18.1 KB 
ID:	13818  

What's this new icon that pop's up rarely in the lower right....

From "help" search "live drag"

Live 'solid' drag, rotate and resize

Xara X offers the world's first live solid drag, rotate and resize of objects, for the ultimate in WYSIWYG editing. That means that as you reposition, resize or rotate an object the whole object moves, rather than just an outline, making it far easier to judge the effect of your edits in real time.

Xara X uses drag-and-drop extensively. Move the mouse over an item, drag the item to the required position and release the mouse button to drop it. You will see the entire object move in real time, to allow for easy placement of items in your document. If you wish to just seen an outline of an object as you move it (which may be quicker, if the object is complex) press the tab key whilst dragging. You can press the tab key again to go back to solid drag.

You can see the solid drag status in the bottom right of the Xara X window:

indicates that solid drag is currently turned on. indicates that solid drag is currently turned off.
    "If you can do good, you should."
    W.K. Clark

And one more point to add to what Grant said:

You can activate or deactivate the solid drag feature by double-clicking on that little blue icon.

Glen
    There are two kinds of people in the world: those who think there are two kinds of people in the world, and those who don’t.

OR ... press the TAB key while dragging to change the mode.

All right.

And, of course, if you hover your mouse over anything in Xara X, it gives a brief explanation in the bottom left hand corner.

Antony
    I'd start a revolution, if I could get up in the morning.

Somehow this new "feature", on my machine at least, seems to have a mind of its own. Often, even with the mini-icon showing "filled", I'll drag a filled object around the screen in outline form. Very erratic.

And, doggone it, my XaraX1 launch still has my toolbar icons dreamily unfolding across the top and sides of the screen, regardless of my machine's high horsepower. (Could it be that having the old version still installed, that this could be a registry related problem?)

Re the drag outline, depends on the size and complexity of the object/s you're dragging. Small ones don't show the outline so much. Big ones do. And if the object is really complex, you'll also see the outline bounce back to the original position, then into the new one. Charles explained to me that that occurs because complex objects have to be dragged the old way.

Re the registry issue, I have both versions installed, and there doesn't seem to be any effect on Xara 1.0d. Like you, I have a high-powered machine. I find that while most things are speedy, there are transient bottlenecks in unexpected places. Perhaps your icons have a similar problem.

Box Elder, SD - Home of the Sick, Twisted and totally Perverted...

carygee,

I have far from a high powered machine and x1 opens just as fast as 1.0D does.(faster even, I do not have the .xar/.web associated with 1.0D so I get a pop up everytime I want to open 1.0D.)
    John/DOT