Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

xdp6 Re: xpdx9 splash screen

I just installed X9 yesterday, and just now I did exactly what I did with every version since 7. Unimaginative, yes, but I prefer to think of it as simple and elegant.

-- Ben

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splashscreen.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	97111
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

Default Re: xpdx9 splash screen

good man! :-)
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

I think what bothers me about this "calling a spade a spade" business, is that it implies some kind of viewpoint that is better than the alternative viewpoint and doesn't take into account that another perspective is equally valid.

The splash screen is on-trend. Many people (like me) like the simplicity of the flat icons and like their simplicity. I have cutlery at home that I love to use - it has subtle rounded edges with very simple basic forms. It has no decoration or embellishment. To my eyes ( and those of the designer, no doubt ) it is beautiful. When I first bought it (without my wife seeing it), she hated it because it lacks any form of embellishment. Now she loves it. At a casual glance most people may evaluate it as plain and boring.

You can show me some cutlery, in silver or gold, with all kinds of fancy embossing or artwork, but chances are I'll hate it and prefer what I have now. Our cutlery is simple, the design subtle.

My point is that it takes good design to make something simple with a good aesthetic.

Some people like the simple aesthetic, some like things fancy and embellished. I recognise that the embellished stuff takes design talent and skill and I applaud their work, but it's not always to my taste.

Because it's not to my taste I don't need to describe the designers as untalented or lazy because they didn't seek to refine their forms, but instead decided to embellish.

In short, your silver embossed spade with a flowery motif, is no better a spade than my simple flat form without the fancy bits.

I don't agree with your views here at all Gary - it's not just about a splash screen, it's about attributing a lack of talent to a different design aesthetic.

Say you don't like the Splash screen because of the aesthetic, but please don't say that not following your preferred design aesthetic implies lack of talent or value.

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post

Say you don't like the Splash screen because of the aesthetic, but please don't say that not following your preferred design aesthetic implies lack of talent or value.
    Paul?

I did so in my reply to yours earlier:

I'm certain the creators have more talent than is being displayed, and (your) talent is being hidden from the light by TPTB who have made callous and artistically insensitive decisions over the art to be presented. My post did get attention, so I feel mostly regretful, but not 100%.

It is my opinion that within the design aesthetic, the splash screen doesn't work as hard as it could. I understand the Minimalist and "Flat" approach, can and have used it, and remember it from the 1960s. I tendered an opinion within context, I don't care for this trend of artistic expression, and I would be critical if the splash screen used a different motif...and looked half-basked. Or "ugly", which were another member's words, not mine.

When I have an idea that needs to be expressed graphically, I consider an appropriate expression of art, and have used Minimalist ("simple") treatments when an idea needs to be presented forthright and/or modestly, and have used more complex, photorealistic approaches when an idea needs to feel large and majestic and proud.

My error if I was being truly disrespectful the artist and not being critical the art. I meant to lecture the purveyor of the art because I'm a fellow artist and felt what I dais needed to be said, and I sincerely make no pretense to being Royalty or The Final Word on the merits or art or the talents of the artist.

Paul, when one considers an opinion expressed by another member here, it's important not to judge, as one is claiming the offending party is judging.

I cannot say that I have not been offensive in any post here because 1.) it's possibly that I've done this but inadvertently, and 2.) although most of us speak the same language here, there are significant cultural differences between the US and the UK, and our cultures use different tones sometimes, which can be misinterpreted...mostly because we are typing and not speaking face to face.

I did not post without deliberation, I'm a Moderator and I certainly see myself as sucking at being one if I'm starting fires instead of quelling them, and I definitely feel partially misunderstood by you, Paul. At least once I did not imply what you felt I was, and more than once I struck a dissonant chord with you—you've picked out certain words and phases—that I intended as much more casual and with a heap less malice—than you've responded with.

Whatever anyone cares to see it as: snarky, condescending, disingenuous, haughty, or constructive (and brusque) criticism, I put it out here not because of ego or because I enjoy being a troll, or because I have lots of idle time and enjoy seeing the number of posts I've made go up, but because I care about the product and those at Xara I've had the honor of meeting.

-g
    Last edited by Gare; 11 July 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Irrespective of aesthetics, (and I prefer simple, like Paul) Gary does have a point about the last of the four icons. For an icon to be successful it has to be understandable and that last one isn't to me at least. What does it mean?
    Tony

]I have made my own splash screen and I like it and have used it on the last two versions. Mine would not be for everyone because it has my name in the design. I also designed icons for 7,8 9 one of which I posted and since made a little better. They allh stand out from the crowd on the desktop and simplistic in their design, So I respectively suggest if you don't like the splash screen, make your own. Same goes for the icon. Or if you like it you may use mine. I am not suggesting that these are great or even good art this is just what I did.

Name:  Xara 8.png
Views: 204
Size:  10.4 KB Name:  Xara7.png
Views: 204
Size:  8.6 KB Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara9.png 
Views:	115 
Size:	37.8 KB 
ID:	97120
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splashscreen.png 
Views:	105 
Size:	75.0 KB 
ID:	97117  
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

When I have worked in agencies ( or companies in general ), the aim is rarely to produce the very best artwork/software possible, but to produce the best artwork/software possible given a time-constraint of some kind. Very often those constraints are such that the usual niceties are ignored and with all kinds of pressures on a designer/developer, the most important thing is to get something that meets with approval from your boss/their boss/the client rather than produce your best possible work. Failing to produce your best possible work under these circumstances doesn't imply any form of laziness. It's just one task to do amongst many. If your boss doesn't want the best splash screen ever, you won't have time to spend on it.

A splash screen is hardly hugely important to a bit of software. It has a value - it gives you information - it has to be in tune with the brand and have some form of coherence with the software itself, but that's about it. I'm not a splash screen aficionado - you can tell. My shining moment was once submitting a bug report because a splash screen showed a clock face where the position of the hands was an impossibility on a functional clock. Tech support didn't get the point. TG would have been outraged by that splash screen (on a product costing thousands of dollars).

Lets cut some slack to the designer, because they didn't develop a splash screen to hold up as some great artwork to be dissected by the mob, they did it as they saw fit given a set of time constraints.

As you know, I think they did a good job.

Perhaps if the discussion wasn't so focused on the ability and slovenliness of the designer, they might even have participated in the discussion and given us some insight/feedback.

TG is the only place I've ever seen such a debate about a splash screen.

I can envision two scenarios where the splash screen wouldn't have rated such a reaction.

(1) P&LD would not have been broke out as a separate application. It would have been perceived differently had it been only in the XDP release. It would have felt differently, perceived differently.

(2) Actual advancement and enhancement in drawing tools.

For the record, the splash screen is an utterly uninspired look, doesn't convey the application properly (flat or not), and as has been mentioned, I have no idea what the right-hand icon represents. On the other hand, as has been demonstrated since time began, one can change it.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    ...TG is the only place I've ever seen such a debate about a splash screen.
    Like I just mentioned in my post, perhaps the conversation would be different had Xara actually incorporated actual advancements, improvements, etc.

Like it not, Paul, that is about all we have to discuss. Who's "fault" is that?

Mike you're right. I suspect the splash screen wouldn't be getting too much attention if there was some fabulous feature to talk about.

I smiled at your comment about the splash screen being uninspiring. I doubt that 'inspirational' was part of the brief!

Paul