Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cleaning up HTML

Anyone know if there is a way to clean up HTML in Xara, I clean up using DW but as soon as I reopen the document the dormant/empty tags are back.

Default Re: Cleaning up HTML

What HTML are you cleaning up? The HTML code that is generated by Web Designer on export, or your own code that you have inserted in placeholders?

The place holder stuff I get rid of myself but Xara seems to generate empty tags on export.

I have tried exporting then opening in DW and cleaning the empty tags - saving the document - but as soon as I reopen the document they are back.

1. If you edit the exported HTML pages then the next time you export the document all of those changes will be overwritten

2. Do not edit the generated HTML code from Web Designer, all of the code is required, nessesary and is correct. No extra redundant code is exported, manually changing the generated code may cause certain things in your pages to not work correctly in all, or some browsers. It is there for only good reasons.

Xara generates the HTML anew every time you publish. It does not use the HTML for editing. You will always lose your changes to the HTML.

[Pete got there before me]

@ Alisanos - What is wrong with the code that Xara created? And what will happen if you "clean it up"?

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    And what will happen if you "clean it up"?
    It will almost certainly introduce buggy results in browsers.

Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    It will almost certainly introduce buggy results in browsers.
    Well redundant tags shouldn't do that, they are containing nothing.

There are no tags which 'do nothing'. Do it at your own risk, but don't be suprised if the site does not behave correctly afterwards (and once you've found that re-export it from Web Designer to fix it, then don't edit it )

What is it you are hoping to achieve by mucking around with the generated code?

You might like to check a Xara Web Designer created html via W3C Markup Validation Service
    Here's the results for a recent Web Designer created site ► http://goo.gl/dCz7h