Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Far objects

Default Far objects

Hi, could you please advise how to simulate with vector tools the objects which are far?

In the attached file I tried to reproduce a photo, the right one is the result but the hills are not finished. It is a general perspective principle that the farer objects are more blurred, but I am not sure how to draw that. As a first solution sure could be adding feather them, the most to the farest, but somehow does not like that. There has to be some better solution :-)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	farer_objects.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	15.9 KB 
ID:	95838

Farer_objects.xar

Default Re: Far objects

It looks to me like you are on the right track csehz. There is atmosphere and moisture in the air to account for so the further away an object is generally the bluer and less distinct it becomes. In this case just change the color of the distant hills to something lighter but still darker then the band of color at the base of the sky. Feathering a little could help too but don't overdo that.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks finally I added the feathering + a rectangle over the hills with slight cloud transparency

Name:	m1.png 
Views:	142 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	95842

Farer_objects2.xar

Basically I do not like the feather because can not control to has effect only one side. Or just do not know how to use it For example in this case a 4,3px feather to the farest hill, on the left side of the picture also did the 4,3 px feather. And there no need for that :-) Okay can not be seen so much but at high zooming yes

Name:	feather.png 
Views:	128 
Size:	5.3 KB 
ID:	95843

Maybe someone knows how to apply feather only on one side for a rectangle?
    Last edited by csehz; 27 April 2013 at 05:30 PM.

for a rectangle you can clipview it - with another rectangle that has no fill and no outline - see attached.... maybe something similar for your shape?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cv23.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	6.0 KB 
ID:	95847  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

If we are talking about feathering just one side of a rectangle I would use a linear transparency instead.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Excellent job.

Thanks the advices, both are something which I did not think by myself. Relating the clipview yes could be alternative, just assuming would need to duplicate each hill shape for a feather and a base for the clipview.

But the linear transparency sounds more comfortable, Frances when you use that instead of feather, are you changing something on profiles or transparency points?

Just playing on a small example, maybe a slight profile change and can be produced the same. However basing on that visually, not sure what can be the maths of a feather generation exactly

Name:	ltf.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	27.8 KB 
ID:	95858

Linear_transp_vs_Feather.xar

Another way to approach this issue is that you only want a "feathered" effect on the top edge not the rest of the shape.

Select your "hill line" shape. Clone it and move it down.
    Select the original and set it's transparency to 99%
    Select the original.
    Now blend between the two shapes.
    Only the top edge has a "feathering effect"
    Adjust the blend profiles to suite.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Good solution Egg. Works like a charm.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

Thanks Egg so there is even further alternative, I was not sure how many blend steps should be enough, set to 500 but maybe even less could be usable

Name:	a1.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	15.6 KB 
ID:	95887