Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default svg quick export

Hi all

I'm trying to build a retina friendly web page and have been playing with svg's.

Xara seems to export the whole page when exporting using "ctrl shift and e". Is there a way to export only the selected graphic? At the moment I have to create a new document with exact page size and this still doesn't seem to always work perfectly - especially with a repeating graphic - it seems that I have to overlap the page by a few pixels for it to work, fitting exactly to the page leaves a blank space when I repeat the graphic in the browser.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Default Re: svg quick export

Designer exports the 'selected' item.
    If there is no selection, then the entire page area is exported.

PS: Web Designer 9 Premium includes native Retina support. So it follows the Designer 9 (when released) will do too.

That's the problem, even with just one object selected it still exports the whole page. Works fine with pngs/jpegs/gifs etc but when you select svg you only get the entire page!

Make sure you are using a drawing document and not a web document.
    (If the tab shows a blue W you are using a web doc)

Thanks sledger, but I just tried that and still get the same problem - is this a bug in my Xara or a limitation of the program?

Exports fine for me using drawing document in DPX or Blank photo doc WD8/9.
    SVG shows width="243pt" height="236.25pt" (viewed via notepad) which is the size I created and selected to export.

Importing the Xara Designer created SVG into Inkscape shows the correct bounds.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	inkscape.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	95524
    Attached Files Attached Files

Designer exports the 'selected' item.
    No, not with svg exports Steve, Xara exports the whole page and all it's content, not just the selected content. The reason your graphic imported correctly into inkscape is that your page size was set to match the graphic size.

Try exporting just the blue square in the attached xar, it exports the whole page
    (Viewed in Notepad the svg dimensions are:
    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" version="1.1" overflow="visible" width="750pt" height="375pt" viewBox="0 0 750 375">
    Equal to the page size 1000px x 500px

The red square also gets exported.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Bramhill View Post
    No, not with svg exports Steve, Xara exports the whole page and all it's content, not just the selected content. The reason your graphic imported correctly into inkscape is that your page size was set to match the graphic size.
    Sorry Egg, that's incorrect. My page size was not set to match the graphic.
    Please try again with either a blank photo doc in WD or a drawing doc in Designer.

EDIT: Just a second. It's not working for me now in drawing docs . Only blank photo docs. I ran through this with several versions of Xara software yesterday to test this as well.. Sorry Egg, seems only to work with Blank Photo docs today (which are special docs that automatically match page size to content)

Yes, tried again & it exports the whole page.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Which makes the Blank Photo doc more useful than for just photo editing