Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Text overflows onto image on Android smartphone display

I just upgraded from Web Designer 8 MX Premium to Web Designer 9 Premium, hoping it would allow me to have one of my site display properly on small screens, such as my Android-based Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone. But, so far, it doesn't work. The site is at www.vgtoronto.com/eis-test1. On the Home page and the Current Season pages, the photo for "Path of Miracles" gets overwritten by the text at the left when viewed on my smartphone.

Peter Hobbs

Default Re: Text overflows onto image on Android smartphone display

Both pages look perfect on my Android Samsung Galaxy 2. No issues.

I'm pleased, but a bit mystified as to why my phone messes up the pages.
    Does the title "OUR NEXT SUBSCRIPTION CONCERT: Joby Talbot’s PATH OF MIRACLES , May 4" fit into the brown background bar, also?

Yes. There's not an error on the page.

Thanks so much for your help! Maybe someone else will respond - hopefully as positively.
    Cheers!
    Peter

No, it displays fine on my HTC firewire.
    Egg

Minis Forum UM780XTX AMD Ryzen7 7840HS with AMD Radeon 780M Graphics + 32 GB Ram + MSI Optix Mag321 Curv monitor
    + 1Tb SSD + 232 GB SSD + 250 GB SSD portable drive + ISP = BT + Web Hosting = TSO Host

Quote Originally Posted by hobbspeter View Post
    I just upgraded from Web Designer 8 MX Premium to Web Designer 9 Premium, hoping it would allow me to have one of my site display properly on small screens
    Peter that site is really not suitable for displaying on a small screen smartphone, in fact the text is quite small even when viewed on a 24" monitor of a desktop PC.
    Xara has no magic pill for converting desktop websites to smartphone websites no matter what marketing blurb might suggest.
    What it does have is a new meta (introduced in version 8 actually) to initially display a site as it's own 100% pixel size. This means too large to fit on most mobile screens.
    You can remove this meta by selecting any object on the page and via the Names.. dialogue add the name NoViewportMeta. This will force the browser to 'fit to display size' so that the whole page appears on screen. But without a jeweller's loupe, no-one would be able to read it, so you are back to zooming in (which is the point of the meta being their in the first place)

I totally agree with Sledger.

You are better served if you create a special version of your site for mobile devices.

Remember, most mobile devices do not have the same high speed connection that many desktop computers do. And at that small size your visitor will get very tired of trying to make the text large enough to read and then trying to find your images, schedules, etc.

Take the time and design a mobile site. It will be well worth the effort.

Thanks so much, Gary. Do you suggest that I use Xara Web Designer 9 to make the special site for mobile devices? Would the site have the same URL? How do I make sure that only mobile devices see the new site?
    Peter