Hello!

I have Painter 6.03, Win '98 SE, 128 MB of RAM, and an AMD K6-2 350 processor.
<ul>
<LI>I opened a .bmp that was 2.72 MB in size. (Incidentally, in geekspeak we type the letters MB as shorthand for MegaByte --- what you called meg.)
<ul>
<LI>I had no problem opening a 2.72 MB .bmp[/list][/list]
<ul>
<LI>Then I saved the .bmp as a .rif file.
<ul>
<LI>The size of the .rif was now 1.49 MB in size.[/list]
<LI>I then opened the 1.49 MB .rif -- no problems
<ul>
<LI>Since this is larger than 1 MB in size, if this were a problem inherent in Painter 6.03, then I should have had the same problem.[/list][/list][/list]

This leads me to suspect that you have something else going on here. If you are unfamiliar with computers, and if no one else maintains your computer for you, you may need some digital spring cleaning in your computer.

One thing I always do, especially when programs misbehave, is defragment (or if you have Norton Utilities it's called Speed Disk) my hard drive.

<UL>What does defrag or speed disk do?
<LI>The short answer: it sorts out your digital files on your hard drive.
<LI>The long answer: over time, your hard drive can become like my physical desktop --- cluttered and unorganized. I have jumbled stacks of papers, disks, books, pens, pencils, in very disorderly stacks and piles.
<LI>Disorderly is the operative word here. Defragment or Speed Disk both take the time to bring order to your digital files on your hard drive.

<LI>Disk Defragmenter comes, "free" with MS Win '98 SE (goto Start Button, Programs-->Accessories -->System Tools -- >Disk Defragmenter ) everyone I know hates this program because it is slow [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif[/img]
<LI>
Speed Disk from Norton Utilities is far faster (and to my mind) does the job just as well as defrag.</li
[/list]

That is the best info. I can offer at the moment. If you give us more details, then maybe someone else will be able to jump in with better advice.

Good Luck,
Athena
;

[This message was edited by T. Athena Hatton on August 28, 2000 at 01:30 AM.]