Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Problem making business model

Hi,

I am having difficulty creating the attached 3D business models in vector and struggling with the perspective and angles, both are proving challenging. I initially started by creating a cross hatch grid and rotating it 45 degrees but its not looking right. I've had a look through the tutorials but can't find the right way on how to approach them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D Stair Case Business Model.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	93526   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D Business Model.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	160.0 KB 
ID:	93527  

Default Re: Problem making business model

Hi Brad,

If it were me, I would begin by importing the image(s) into XDP and outline them using the Shape tool. The one on the left above is three sides to each step, with each step a slightly different hue of the same color. Then I would write the words and use the envelope tool.

See if that works for you. If not I can work up an example file a little later.

Take care, Mike

Thanks for the suggestion Mike. I am interested to learn though how something like this can be drawn from an idea. Is it about perspective or do you think these were perhaps drawn in a 3d program.

One thing to note: The idea is (nearly) always harder than the execution.

I know I would draw them in 2D. Yes, perspective, or a slightly distorted sense of perspective, is the key to working in a design app in creating an info graphic. I would suggest that one keeps a pad and pencil handy. Inspiration strikes at odd times. See something on the news, another show/movie, or newspaper, etc., that would be rip for such a task? Sketch it down.

And if once the idea is conceptualized and sketched out, and perhaps refined, scan it or take a photo of it on your camera and bring it into Xara. See what it takes to translate the concept drawing into Xara.

The one on the left would take me 15 minutes or so to recreate. The original concept would probably take me several sketches and revisions to convey my thoughts. Which is one reason why I am a firm believer in "there is nothing new under the sun" and simply look for a close enough example and reinvision it.

Take care, Mike