Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Threaded View

Default Re: Perspective Drawing

The drawings shown at #6 are two point perspective, they would always have a better impact in three point, but they look fine, I guess they belong to you?

We could go on here so I want you to do a little test for me, 'please'.

Stand with your arms outstretched about 24ins apart and your thumbs facing up.

Look straight ahead between your hands without moving your eyes (remembering that with perspective drawing your eye are fixed) and your thumbs will be a little out of focus. Now bring your hands together about 6ins apart and you can see your thumbs more clearly.

We use our eyes to look at each thumb to get it in focus, a natural thing to do, but in perspective drawing we cannot do that! Now close one eye (just as you would in perspective) and you will see that the whole subject starts to look distorted until you put your hands closer together. Our brain and the movement of our eyes play a large part in our lives but with perspective drawing we cannot use them. We have to use the best methods which have been proven over the centuries by expanding our Cone of Vision and 30deg works well for small objects and 60deg for large objects. You cannot stick to 30deg in all cases.

In perspective 'additional objects' should have already been taken care of to plot or work out your Perspective Drawing. Many artists in the technical illustration field may start with drawing the individual pieces i a plan view. you are better off putting it all in a container (or box) to make sure you have not left any additional part off.

One of the great things about 3D apps, you can reposition your objects without any problem, not so easy with Perspective Drawings, you must get it right the first time.

You wanted proof. I have drawn 3 images below given you the measurements and using 60deg as my Cone of Vision (the sizes are units so you can use 5 as 5 feet or 5 ins, here I am using it as 5 feet), with 2 point perspective. Please prove me wrong!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_11_perspective_setup.jpg 
Views:	318 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	93463

Name:	image_13_perspective_setup.jpg 
Views:	567 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	93464

Name:	image_14_perspective_setup.jpg 
Views:	293 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	93465

Setback just means the object is setback from the Picture Plane 'x' distance.
    Last edited by perspective; 10 December 2012 at 08:08 AM.