Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Pop Ups on Web Page preview not functioning properly

Xara Designer Pro 7. And maybe I've triggered something incorrectly. On my page I have a JPEG 140X140. I've gone to Web Properties and selected Popup to 700X700. All photos to pop-up have been moved to the Popup Layer. When I preview the page the JPEG will be full size on the page (700X700). When I click it then it will pop up. The question is why does it show full size on the page before clicking. If they all do that it will be a mess. Input appreciated.
    Thanks, Giddyup
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

Default Re: Pop Ups on Web Page preview not functioning properly

Hi Gilbert

Pop-up photos don't need their own layer. Just set them in Web Properties >> Image Tab

If you are using the Image > Pop-up feature, then there is no need for a pop-up layer.

Reduce your original photo to a thumbnail size then in the Image > Pop-up Photo Width: text entry box, enter the size the image will increase to when the visitor clicks the image.

If you want to use a pop up layer, then you need a smaller version of the image on the mouse off layer that links to the pop up layer on which will reside the larger version of the image. If the pop up layer is not linked to, nothing will be visible.

I've done that, but the pic winds up still 700X700 on the page instead of the 140X140; and of course it shows over the other pics. I'm wondering if this scenario is the problem. The original photo is 700X700. When I set this up I merely use the PlaceHolder feature to have that photo downsized onto the page as a 140X140. Should I have 2 sets of photos putting one set on one layer and the larger on the other. I s'pose I'm still a bit confused with the downsized pic showing up at the larger size.
    Thanks, Giddyup
    Wichitaito: "Everything is Everything"

Try this Gilbert

• Create your 140 x 140 rectangle (on the MouseOff layer)
    • Press G to switch to the fill tool (with the rectangle selected)
    • Select bitmap fill from the drop down
    • Drag your image to the rectangle
    • Go to Website Properties >> Image Tab and set as a pop-up (and size)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GGpopup.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	62.4 KB 
ID:	90819

Gilbert, I have tons of what I think you are trying to accomplish on my website. Check out this page and see if this is similar to what you want to do: http://waterfallforge.com/copper-sug...-fountains.htm
    If so, here's what I do:
    I import a full size image from a folder on my drive. The image has already been optimized for decent size and quality in a photo editing program. The actual size as stored in the folder may be let's say, 96 dpi and about 6 by 6 (inches) as print size.
    I "Import" the image onto the webpage I am working on. It will be very large, of course. Click on it and grab one of the scale bars on the corner and shrink it down to the size you want as a thumbnail. Then I usually add a line border (optional) and shadow (optional). Move the image into the correct position. Then right click the thumbnail. Then Click on "Web Properties", then "Image" then at top left you have the option to select "Pop-Up photo". Do it.

Then enter the size you want it to grow to when clicked on in the Pop-Up width box right next door. Optionally then you can add Pop-Up title (good idea.) And Image Caption. at mid page you can select which image type to use, either png, jpeg or let Xara choose. I always pick Jpeg. Then hit apply and OK.
    It may not preview correctly but it will work when you publish to your site.

Buddy

Reduce your original photo to a thumbnail size then in the Image > Pop-up Photo Width: text entry box, enter the size the image will increase to when the visitor clicks the image.
    I think we are suggesting the same thing, no?

Sure. Sometimes it helps to have a little more step by step and I know you are waaay to busy to do that all the time. My apologies for the redundancy.