Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MX listing all pages like site map on every page. Google problem?

MX is creating list of all my pages on each page in the html. The individual lines as in:

<a class="xr_pnavmenu" href="copper-tree-fountains.htm">12: Custom copper outdoor fountains with trees or other flora.
    These lines are now showing up in Google search results.
    The line # as used by MX on that list shows up as in above example, then title, then below it the usual URL and description.

I am nervous about Goggle penalizing me for spamming my pages with the keywords that are built into the individual page names.

I do my own navigation buttons and do not use the automatic type system built in to the NAV bar system that is supposedly creating these list. I do not remember seeing this in the earlier version 7.
    If this causes Google to penalize folks for spamming their own pages it is a serious problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Default Re: MX listing all pages like site map on every page. Google problem?

It sounds like your site is being exported as a presentation. Do you get the pop-up nav at the bottom left of each page ?

If this was not intentional then it may be due to a known bug triggered by using a layer transition.

Edit: I don't think google will penalise you for this

Quote Originally Posted by Drwyd View Post
    It sounds like your site is being exported as a presentation. Do you get the pop-up nav at the bottom left of each page ?

If this was not intentional then it may be due to a known bug triggered by using a layer transition.

Edit: I don't think Google will penalize you for this
    No, not being exported as presentation. No NAV bars showing up on pages. Just the list of all my pages in the html. I will try to attach a clip.
    Do a Google search for custom copper waterfalls I am the top six results. Notice the two with the added numbers as in 27: Custom...... Google has pretty strict rules about over listing key words on the page whether it is in visible part or hidden. This just makes me nervous.

Check to see if attachment worked. First time trying this.

Thanks

Buddy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forum1.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	90715  

Those links are not being hidden. Move your mouse to the bottom left of your browser and you will see the presentation menu pop-up.

You must have used a layer transition or a presentation template

AAAAGH! I have no idea when I did that. I have never used a presentation template. I did use a layer on my main page but have since quit using it. How do I get rid of this? I do not want those lists in my code.

Thanks

Buddy

Find the object that was triggering the layer and remove the transition effect or delete the layer.

OK. I went through with Page and Layer Gallery open and took off all layers on the two pages I had any on. I saved and published.
    Everything is still like it was and the little pop up is still coming up in lower left. What next? I hate to be a bother with this but this website is how I pay the bills.

Thanks

Buddy

Could you upload your .WEB/.XAR file, a second pair of eyes might find it.

I will do that shortly. But here's what I need to know first. Is the little pop up navigator box in lower left a "built-in" automatically going to be added to the code every time type thing?
    I know I did not set that up and it was not like that on version 7. It's only handy to me as no visitor to the site would know it was there. And, I still have worries about Google penalizing for having such a large navigation list with all the keywords built in on every page as it is not hidden from them since it is popping up on the Google results.
    Is there a way to get rid of that navigation feature? I didn't even know it existed till you mentioned it.

.web file is about 50 mb. Is that too large to upload here?

Thanks

Buddy

Usually, when not triggered by the bug, the pnav is only added when a presentation template is used or the "presentation website" check-box is ticked in "website properties >> website". As the file is way too big to upload you may have to go through each page in turn until you find the culprit. The bug is fixed, so I hear, and will soon appear in an update but I have no idea when.

I doubt if you will be penalised for the navbar. Google likes links, especially ones that have anchor text that's relevant to the subject matter of the page.