Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hey all...

I did a drawing with Xara, and I'd like to export it to a Png or Tif so that the background has and transparencies have intact alpha channels.

Help says it's possible, but I can't figure out how... any help?

hey all...

I did a drawing with Xara, and I'd like to export it to a Png or Tif so that the background has and transparencies have intact alpha channels.

Help says it's possible, but I can't figure out how... any help?

export your drawing as a PNG with truecolor+alpha. see pic...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1upload.gif 
Views:	464 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	19519  

The bigger question is, to which application are you creating the 32-bit PNG for? This could make a difference.

Also, if you have a rectangle behind your objects, do not select the rectangle, unless you have set it to be transparent. Otherwise, Xara will use the background rectangle and it will be non-transparent and the alpha-chanel will not be apparent.

If you have done everything correctly, it will appear as it does is John's screen capture showing now background.

Gary

Surely, the point should also be made that TIFs do not support transparency - or if it does, it's the first I've heard of it. Only GIFs and PNGs support transparency. Of these I would suggest that PNG is the better of the two due to the number of colours it can support as GIFs are limited to 256 colours. Just my two penneth/cents!

Tracey

News to me too when I first saw it, but TIFFs do support transparency - just that Xara doesn't seem to be able to export with it. Try this file: Xara is happy to import it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

JPEGs also support transparency - this isn't a very good example but it is the only one I have.

Edit: OK, talkgraphics will only accept 300 KB and the file is 2.7 MB. Wish I never posted it now! Click here to download it offsite

hi Daniel,

I see the transparency in the tiff but not in the jpg.

Name:	1upload.jpg 
Views:	379 
Size:	10.3 KB 
ID:	15255  

There is indeed a 32-bit TIFF file format. It is not supported by Xara because Xara supports 32-bit PNG images. Photoshop can create a 32-bit TIFF as can other bitmap editing applicatons.

Gary

John, huh then that beats me! WinXP's thumbnail shows it as transparent, and the website I downloaded it from suggested it was too. Serif PagePlus v10 which I installed and worked on the image with didn't have a problem either.

On checking, Fireworks MX2004 and Freehand MXa show it with a white background too. I guess I'm spouting partial nonsense, so will be quiet now http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

Name:	feather.png 
Views:	350 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	17505