Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 20 of 49 FirstFirst ... 10181920212230 ... LastLast

Default Re: Fantasy maps created using Xara Xtreme

K.K,/.,/..,/,

Quote Originally Posted by jclements View Post
    K.K,/.,/..,/,
    I guess I don't speak 'cell phone', what does this mean?

GP

I'd say this is my best illustration so far in the series for my upcoming publication. Tomoe Gozan is a historical woman samurai warrior from Japan. Since female gamers might just want to play a samurai character, this is the example...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tomoe-gozan.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	88508

3 illustrations left for this project, including this one - Ranger (Yojimbo archetype).

Name:	yojimbo-illustration.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	88567

The final results of any illustration is entirely based on the quality of the resource photo I'm using. I started working on a different version of this one, but decided the pixelization was too bad, so I searched for a better photo and found an amazing one 6000 pixels wide with lots of great detail. Unfortunately that means I spend more time getting those details included, so this took me 3 times as long as the other illustrations, but the results are telling. I'm really glad I found the hi-res photo, I've never seen the bit and bridle up close before, but this photo showed it clean.

This one is the Yabusame (mounted archer samurai)...

Name:	yabusame-illustration.jpg 
Views:	472 
Size:	215.4 KB 
ID:	88605

Second to the last illustration (that I absolutely need, not necessarily the last ones...) features a yamabushi on a mountain peak performing some ritual. The yamabushi is an alternate paladin class for Kaidan. This is the only one with a background, since the resource photo featured him on a mountain peak, which fit the concept so well, I had to include it.

Having not said it until now, as I thought it was obvious, all these illustrations are entirely created in Xara - nothing hand drawn, nothing else added.

Name:	yamabushi-on-the-mountain.jpg 
Views:	226 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	88671

Could you tell us how you used the resource photos to come to these wonderful drawings?

If I get some time, I will create a tutorial for this, but am currently trying to get lots of work done in a near deadline for publication - so no time to design a proper tutorial for the time being. It takes a careful eye and an understanding of your tools - it's not an easy process, but as shown above it's something that Xara is very capable of doing. One thing though, I still use Xara Xtreme Pro, and I don't know how directly applicable such a tutorial would serve for the most recent upgrade. I don't want to duplicate a process that is no longer the same. Give me a couple of weeks, I may be able to get to a tutorial.

Just as a quick explanation, all I am really doing is tracing a photo with a mouse. I am not using the Auto Trace function as it's results is not what I want. Sometimes I need to apply a feathered edged on an element, and when I do, the background color needs to be behind the element on top. In Auto Trace there's a hole behind each element for a solid white background, which is not what I want. So I create each element as I need them, sometimes moving them to layers behind others. I will show you all this when I get time to create a proper tutorial.

Michael
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 10 April 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to the tutorial!

Finally done with the project that has taken all my time, Way of the Samurai has been released and now has 2 each 5/5 star reviews. One review is on the same page as the above listed product. The second review is here...

I will try to get to a tutorial sometime this week.

On June 13, we will start a Kickstarter project to raise the financing to finally create a Game Master's Guide to Kaidan, and possibly a Players Guide to Kaidan, as well as a Bestiary. It depends on how much funds we collect. I'll post a formal announcement, then.

Michael