Thanks for the info, and thanks for the welcome. Have been over at WD for a couple of years now, and wouldn't you know it, as soon as I have a font-related question, I get directed over here to a new board. Nice when that happens.

As for engaging someone else, If ONLY! However, can't say much out loud, but this is being done for someone who is a retired academic, world-famous in their field, and has very precise requirements about what is wanted in every little character, as far as I can make out, but can't draw the glyphs as wanted. So this means sitting down with them and round trip editing all the symbols until they are what they want. And in your case, that means a 5000 mile round trip!

So, the symbols will be produced by a graphics guy I know. Once all the symbols have been produced - and this won't be in the next 5 minutes - then they'll need to be introduced to the font creation program we end up using. As for programming, I've been writing programs since 1972, but never anything involving fonts.

My next question was going to be what software you would think suitable for someone who is very computer / programming savvy, but not famous for knowing about the internals of fonts, as I believe I've demonstrated here?

We looked at Font Creator (Pro version) and I've just looked at Type Tool. Money isn't much of a problem at this price level (Font Lab Studio would be considered over the top), but ease of use for a newbie would be the main criterion. So would FontCreator pro at $200 be easier to use than TypeTool at $100?

Thanks for your time again.

Staggers.

PS, like the cat. Last night I discovered that one of mine has developed a suspicious-looking thickening of the waistline. The hussy.