Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Web Page size?

Default Web Page size?

Further to a comment on the Xara web gallery about width of a webpage i had designed, i was wondering what is the preferred page size to use?

the last couple i did i used the 760 option in WD7 (svga) - is the 995 (xga) option the way to go or do you the custom option? just wondered if the 760 option is not really optimised for todays screens why its a default in WD7?

(edit) just opened a few of the supplied templates and 995 seems to be what they use - makes sense as was pointed out, vast majority of screens will handle 1024 - i'm old and remember CRT Monitors.....

Ray

Default Re: Web Page size?

Hi Ray

1024px browser width is a common minimum so 995px is a good size.

Default Re: Web Page size?

According to a survey I've seen about 18% still use 1024px resolutions but 27% use the 1280px resolution with heights of 800px and 1024px, so you have to design for the lowest common denominator (excluding of course mobile phone resolutions). Also be aware that 1366x768 is heading towards being the most common resolution by the end of the year as most laptop screens run at this native resolution, I think as the desktop pc looses out more and more to portable displays this is going to be the most common for a while.

On a note of personal preference; I think most sites which are designed with fixed resolutions of 1200 or above tend not to look that good. Might be what I'm used to.
    Last edited by Cloud; 11 February 2012 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spelling
    Flawless Form. Faultless Function. Crafted by Cloud

https://www.cloudwebagency.co.uk