Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: The controversial eraser tool

Quote Originally Posted by pauland View Post
    Wasn't the video in the first post enough?
    No. Do you do architectural renderings?

What is it you, pauland, do on a daily basis that would benefit? How much would you use it per drawing?

I cannot answer for you. I have answered for me. But again, for me, I don't know what/when I would use such a feature for what I do or have done since 1990. I have sliced and diced image elements in CD over those years on occasion and since just earlier this year, XDP.

It is not that I haven't used an eraser in PS or PL. I have and will continue to do so in an bitmap/image program. But I use a vector application such as XDP as a composition application for the image bits of an overall piece. I don't do image manipulation inside XDP. That is not to say that on occasion I have taken a vector element or two into PS or PL and added washes of color, etc., I have done this. But very infrequently.

Take care, Mike

Everybody is doing differrent things. A lot of people using Xara don't produce artwork that's made "in the moment", and at the moment they can't. Some people on TG do work on cartoons and fills can be tedious using Xara -an eraser could change that workflow hugely. The video shows how having an eraser (and ideally a proper brush tool) could free Xara from requiring calculated image making and let people use the software freely and open it up to a less constrained and flowing form of expression. Quite a few people do sketches before the transfer the artwork to Xara and I bet the don't do it by joining the vertices, as it were.

It's not an essential for everyone, but I suspect it would be a must-have if it ever arrived. Of course many people interested in producing free flowing artwork without worrying about points, may just seek alternative ways to produce their art.

So it might not be for me or you, but that's true of a lot of xara features these days.

I've given up on this. After literally begging for one for years,...I now basically use other vector apps with eraser tools; there are plenty. I was told over and over by folks here that an eraser tool is not needed or that there are workarounds. Blah blah blah......

I use one everyday...and I love it. To each their own.

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

This is exactly why Xara needs an eraser tool, how many potential loyal users have gone to other software because of the lack of this tool? I can think of many potential uses for this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

There again, a lot of loyal users have struggled on without Seriously can't imagine any loyal Xaran jumping ship because of it ... hardly disables the program(s) does it. I'd prefer to see the devs spend time and Xara's money come up with something that most of us can find useful, not 10%
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

note I said potential loyal users. We have just heard from one. There are surely many more who have chosen not to use xara because of it's lack of tools that other programs have had for years.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |

We've probably lost lots of folk cos Xara is not a raster application and cos it doesn't work like other programs. I could respond with "Look how many folk have fallen for Xara cos it's not a raster application and because it works better than other programs." Swings and roundabouts. If erasers or whatever get included it's because Xara have a space for it and the idea has been around for a while ... at the expense of another idea that will then also be bemoaned as "essential".

I've got an idea ... let's give those devs the benefit of the doubt eh? They've done us proud so far ... or do you think they've been slacking? Such a vital tool and it's not in the toolbox? What can they be doing with their time?
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I'm not calling anyone Slackers I just think that this is a tool that has been asked for and including it would be a good thing It's getting to be that time that we are all thinking about what might be in the next release and I think that putting our wishes out there is a good thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

There's a bit of an odd culture on TG where people like to mock those who make suggestions about enhancing the Xara toolset and say why they think it's important. Not everyone can see the need for an eraser - I understand that - but I don't see the need to mock those that do.

If, after seeing the video on the first post, the point of an eraser is lost on you, then why try and justify the lack of an eraser?

We all know Xara works just fine, but it's not a program that has no room for improvement.

I've already saved the developers endless hours of work by drawing the icons for the eraser - Post #43.
    So, all they need to do, is to do the simple background stuff.

And I don't think it's anything to do with whether you would use it or not, or whether it would be useful?
    Some will use it and some will not.

Here's my offer.
    Do away with the 'Pen Tool'. I never use it.
    And give me the 'Erase Tool' instead.
    Who knows whether I may use it or not?
    But, there will be many who might use it and some who might learn to love it!

So, for me, there already are unnecessary tools in Xara. But, not for others.
    I dare say we would have a revolt if the 'Pen Tool' was done away with?!

How much have I missed an Eraser?
    Well, I simply click on the object and move the nodes or the control points to achieve what I want.
    But... I'm not a professional needing to produce complex works and other stuff where the Erase Tool might be extremely useful.

I would prefer to win over users, rather than ask them to simply love it or lump it.
    Only my opinion and you don't have to agree with it.
    Last edited by Rik; 21 January 2012 at 10:47 AM.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone