Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Problem applying fill to drawn shape

I am new to Xara, using DP 7. I am trying to apply a fill to a shape drawn with the Freehand and Brush Tool as done in the ice tutorial in Workbook 04. No matter what I do I can only get one color. I think the reason I can only get one color is because the drawn shape is a line. So no matter which control handle I select, the entire shape changes to the new color.

Please don't say "Read the manual." That is always an insulting answer, as even though the answer may be there, a new user may easily miss it or misunderstand it. That said, I have read the Fills section in the manual, and I didn't see my problem addressed there. I would appreciate it is someone would tell me what I am not doing correctly here. Thank you.

Lynn
    Gender/Male

Default Re: Problem applying fill to drawn shape

Hey Lynn--RTM...sorry, I couldn't resist.

Without seeing a screen shot or a sample file, my guess is that the shape is not closed. XDP fills closed shapes. So there is a possibility that the start and end nodes are not joined. Likely at a high zoom rate at where you think they join will reveal they are not. At that point, you just need to use the Shape Tool to move the end node on top of the start node.

Take care, Mike

please read the manual is not an insulting answer and for you to suggest it is might put off some from giving you any help at all

reading the manual is something everyone should do - and those who are prepared to donate their time to help others out should be appreciated and not taken for granted

Like Mike, I am thinking you have not closed the shape [assuming it is the snow blobs shapes you are referring to]
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

Handrawn,

When someone replies "Read the manual" and stops there, it comes across as not only discourteous but smart alecky. I agree that often the answer is in the manual. If someone says RTM and then continues on to say where in the manual or to explain how to address the problem, using the manual as a guide, that is great. I appreciate the time and effort from those who respond. But I don't think it hurts for everyone to be aware of what can drive new users away. I just wanted it to be clear that I needed more help than RTM. I'm sorry that you were offended.

Thank you, Mike, for the suggestion as to what I have done wrong. I do appreciate your response. Now back to Xara!

Lynn

oh I am not offended - it takes far more than that to offend me

get up on the xara web site and watch the movies thats what they are there for - then the manual and help section will likely make more sense, and you are likely to be able to phrase your questions better too
    Nothing lasts forever...

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

Hi Lynn, when asking questions pertaining to Xara Xone tutorials it would be helpful if you could post a link to the tutorial you are working on. Screen shots and if possible a .xar file for us to look at will help others to help you as well.

After looking up the tutorial I am guessing that you are having difficulties on Step 4. Once your shape is closed it will automatically fill with a colour. when you draw a shape Xara defaults to a flat fill you need to change that to an elliptical fill for this step and then you need to click the nodes at the ends of the fill handles to select the end colour. Then use the colour editor to set the end colour as specified in the tutorial. Select the center node where the handles meet to set the start colour in the same way.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

First, I have to apologize. I had a bad experience with a question asked when learning another graphics program (I was told to "Read the manual" but not given any actual help), I should not have projected that experience to TalkGraphics.

The advice I was given was exactly what I needed. I had not used the Freehand and Brush Tool before and had not realized that I needed to close it. After doing so I then proceeded as angelize advised. Thank you.

Lynn

Sunshine Coast BC, Canada. In a beautiful part of BC's temperate rainforest

No problem Lynn, I am glad that we were able to help you. Do keep asking questions here and you are always welcome to post work in the art gallery or the stop and post thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My current Xara software: Designer Pro 365 12.6

Good Morning Sunshine.ca | Good Morning Sunshine Online(a weekly humorous publication created with XDP and exported as a web document) | Angelize Online resource shop | My Video Tutorials | My DropBox |
    Autocorrect: It can be your worst enema.

Sometimes when a shape does not automatically fill when you think you have closed it, that means that there is a break in the line somewhere and can sometimes be difficult to find.
    Larry a.k.a wizard509

Never give up. You will never fail, but you may find a lot of ways that don't work.

can be tricky Larry, yes

one way is to select it and then switch to the shape tool - then 'home' and 'end' on the keyboard should find the break - you should repeat this after fixing in case there is more than one gap [break]
    Nothing lasts forever...