Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

WD6 Balsamiq Mockups

I am a frequent user of Balsamiq Mockups, and I was wondering if you have any plans to integrate Web Designer with it?

Default Re: Balsamiq Mockups

Give us a clue. What are Balsamiq Mockups? Sounds like they would go well with Vinegar Mockups?

Balsamiq Mockups is a tool for prototyping web page and application designs - wireframes that show the functionality and basic layout but not the final design elements. The idea is that you can quickly put together the structure and basic layout without having to finalise anything about the final aesthetic design.

As an example, you could design a web page with a form and show it to the client and the client can agree that the basic design/functionality is good without the final colour scheme, fonts, and other aethetic elements being involved.

I can't see that Xara would find a tie-in with Balsamiq Mockups worthwhile (or easy) for their target markets.

The tool is popular with application developers and some web designers (particularly in the corporate field).

I do organograms and flow charts using Xara, I do websites and mailshot design using Xara, I do publicity and marketing design using Xara. I haven't investigated Balsamiq in any depth, but as a Xara user for professional work I can't see any use for it in any way shape or form. If you can already show a client a wireframe using the best drawing application in the world (which I do anyway) why would you possible want to do so in another app?

Its strength lies in its use as a collaborative tool. If you're a lone ranger I can't see the point.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Well, Balsamiq comes with loads of components out of the box. You don't need to make everything and it is quick and comparatively cheap. You can build click-through prototypes. It is used for a reason.

I don't see it as a tool for the typical Xara user though.

Having been attached umbilically to these forums for over 10 years I wonder if there's any such thing as a typical Xara user
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

LOL, no, but I don't see many of the users that are publishing websites as being the kind that negotiate their design with clients using wireframes and bare prototypes, or collaborate, as has been said.