Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Carved in Stone

Hi,
    I know this is from an old post, I came accross it while browsing this forum. I was looking for something for the church that I belong to. This seems to be what I'm looking for. I hope the question that I asked are clear.

First, I’m a complete novice at this and using Xara X/X1. I am trying to duplicate your “Carved in Stone” mini tutorial. My questions are (their numerous)

1.How do you get to select the 2color linear fill? I clicked the fill icon selected linear fill. I don’t know how to get the two color fill.
    2.I take it that the handles you are instructing to drag to center are the little red arrows? If I have that correct do I drag all toward center? When I drag, do I hold down the left mouse button and place the x over the arrows. I ask because when I do this sometimes it works and other times not.
    3.When I try to get the outside bevel my text color is black. How do you get the outline?
    4.I haven’t yet reached the final effect of double chiseled effect incised and raised. I know it’s most likely a simple explanation for this. I don’t see a double chisel selection.
    5.The text size goes to 72pts. Is that what you used as text size?
    Many thanks,
    dave

Hi,
    I know this is from an old post, I came accross it while browsing this forum. I was looking for something for the church that I belong to. This seems to be what I'm looking for. I hope the question that I asked are clear.

First, I’m a complete novice at this and using Xara X/X1. I am trying to duplicate your “Carved in Stone” mini tutorial. My questions are (their numerous)

1.How do you get to select the 2color linear fill? I clicked the fill icon selected linear fill. I don’t know how to get the two color fill.
    2.I take it that the handles you are instructing to drag to center are the little red arrows? If I have that correct do I drag all toward center? When I drag, do I hold down the left mouse button and place the x over the arrows. I ask because when I do this sometimes it works and other times not.
    3.When I try to get the outside bevel my text color is black. How do you get the outline?
    4.I haven’t yet reached the final effect of double chiseled effect incised and raised. I know it’s most likely a simple explanation for this. I don’t see a double chisel selection.
    5.The text size goes to 72pts. Is that what you used as text size?
    Many thanks,
    dave

i cant really answer your questions but here are a cple links that might help

mini tut

xaraxone tut

if you used these both sorry thought it might help if not then i know one of the seasoned pro's here will definitly guide you in the right direction.

as far as the 2 line fill thats actually easy.
    apply linear fill click on the top of the arrow choose color. then click on other end and apply color.
    Mike
    see my photoblog http://kcmcomp.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 1.How do you get to select the 2 color linear fill? I clicked the fill icon selected linear fill. I don’t know how to get the two color fill. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Click on the small box at either end of the arrow. When the box is selected, you can apply a color by either left clicking on a color from the screen palette, or by mixing a color in the Color Editor (Ctrl e). You can also drag the boxes at the end of the fill path arrow to change the length and angle of the fill.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 2.I take it that the handles you are instructing to drag to center are the little red arrows? If I have that correct do I drag all toward center? When I drag, do I hold down the left mouse button and place the x over the arrows. I ask because when I do this sometimes it works and other times not. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think you are now referring to the Bevel Tool? Yes you can drag any of the red double-sided arrow handles to the center or to the outside to apply an Inner or Outer Bevel. If you drag the arrows too far to the inside you might not see anything however.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 3.When I try to get the outside bevel my text color is black. How do you get the outline? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Black text will not show much of a bevel. Change the text color to dark gray, or any other color and you will see more of a bevel effect. You can drag a selection rectangle around the text with the Selector Tool (the arrow pointer) and then change both the text color and the bevel color at the same time. You can also darg and drop a color from the screen palette onto either the text or the bevel to change the color for one or the other.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 4.I haven’t yet reached the final effect of double chiseled effect incised and raised. I know it’s most likely a simple explanation for this. I don’t see a double chisel selection. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is another arrow in the center of the red sizing arrows that originates from the center of the selected object. Drag and rotate this arrow in the opposite direction (to about the 5 o'clock position). This reverses the light angle and makes the bevel appear to be recessed instead of raised.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> 5.The text size goes to 72pts. Is that what you used as text size? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can resize the text by selecting it and dragging any of the four corner bounding box handles. My guess is the text was probably about 150 points, but it could be larger or smaller as need be.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Thanks for the super quick reply. I'll give it a shot with your instructions. I guess it's just a matter of getting a feel for it. I'll let you know how I'm doing.
    Again many thanks for your speedy replies.

Dave

Hi Dave,

watch the movies that come with the program. Quick, down and dirty, see how really easy it is to use xara excamples. Good for novices computer users and graphics professionals.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

Stone carving recently came up in this thread. In it you'll find links to old threads that will give you even more stone carving ideas.

Regards, Ross

PS - Please post your results. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif