Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thread: Column width

Default Column width

How does one set the text column width accurately?

Snap to grid does not work and there is no coordinates available for setting or am I missing something again.

Peter

Default Re: Column width

No, Peter you bring up a good point. The best I can suggest is to use guidelines to establish the width. It would be great if you could specify a measure (what the now extinct typesetters used to call the width of a line of type).

I have just looked at my web pages and see that on each the text is a different width and they are all with non integer sizes which I thought having a pixel point size was a no no.

At least I would like when setting a column width that it would snap to the grid even if one cannot set the size.

It is like setting the text frame size in a DTP.

Thanks for (quickly) confirming the absence of this important setting.

Peter

You don't specify a product in your user profile so it is hard to answer directly.

But for the web there are two check boxes for document editing that force text areas to conform to the HTML settings. See attached.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	document-editing.png 
Views:	114 
Size:	10.8 KB 
ID:	83936  

Profile amended.

Designer Pro 7 - probably still got the original graphic ROM chip if I hunted hard enough and all others to present somewhere!!

It was set for the above.

If I read that correctly it is only what gets exported/uploaded as it does not affect the WYSIWYG as one text area is 500.9 X 171.9px

Makes it even more important to get the dimensions correct before uploading as they could get changed.

Peter

Also, there is no such thing as a fractional pixel (the .9). So this will automatically be rounded up or down accordingly.

But at any rate, until we have the option to specify the measure, I advise using guidelines.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpriester View Post
    Also, there is no such thing as a fractional pixel (the .9). So this will automatically be rounded up or down accordingly.

But at any rate, until we have the option to specify the measure, I advise using guidelines.
    OK I accept that but why does the toolbar box's not show the rounding for instance the size of a text column that I am looking at shows 601.2px by 172.5px.

Call this thread closed and hope that Xara will fix the problem if they are watching.

Thanks for inputs Peter