Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

i open a file (name A) to do some editing and saved as (name B). eg: i used text to create some wording using font arial..and save as (name B). Then i want to change the font to times roman...i open up (file name B) but i cannot used text again to edit...i have to open up (file name A) to do all over my editing. Anyone understand what i am saying and can help me?
    IP

i open a file (name A) to do some editing and saved as (name B). eg: i used text to create some wording using font arial..and save as (name B). Then i want to change the font to times roman...i open up (file name B) but i cannot used text again to edit...i have to open up (file name A) to do all over my editing. Anyone understand what i am saying and can help me?
    IP

I understand what you're explaining, but know not the problem of which you speak. http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Try resetting your PS Prefs file and see if that has any effect.

To do that, hold down Ctrl+Alt+Shift when you click on PS's program shortcut to start the program. PS will ask you if your want to delete the current Prefs file and let it recreate a new one. Select YES, and let PS continue loading.
    IP

When you saved image B, did you choose the "save a copy" method?.. OR the "Save as"?

AT first glance, this is what you may have done. You may have initially saved the first as a default .PSD format but when you wanted to keep the original and save the modified font "version" you used the "save a copy" and when this happened, you flattened image B. I have PS 5 and when I use the "save a copy" method, .jpg is shown by default. All is not lost,.. just click the arrow for the drop down list and you can save it many other formats inlcuding .PSD. But this is moot because you can go ahead and modify any file and use the "save as" .psd to retain your text layer provided you don't "render" the text.

Does this help?

Broon
    IP

hi broon

thanks for your reply.

i can only choose "save as" in my trial version of photoshop cs and it is default a .psd file. What I always do is "save as" a .jpg file.

My question is when i save as (filename: photo1.jpg) and realise i want to do some font changes, i open up photo1.jpg and i am NOT able to edit the font. I have to go to the original file (filename: photo.jpg) and re-type all over again.

Hope you guys got what i mean and help me.

Thanks.
    IP

This is because the text is no longer "live". The jpeg format is a bitmap format and the type is flattened on save.

Text is basically a vector format and resides on it's own layer in Photoshop. Because layers are saved when saving in .psd format, the vector text remains live on its own layer and can be edited at a later date.

Saving as a jpeg is your problem, it's flattening the layers, including the text layer, which is converted to a bitmap on flattening.

In case you ask, No..It is not possible to save editable text in a jpeg file.

Sark
    IP

Sark nailed it for you...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My question is when i save as (filename: photo1.jpg) and realise i want to do some font changes, i open up photo1.jpg and i am NOT able to edit the font. I have to go to the original file (filename: photo.jpg) and re-type all over again. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That's par for the course when changes need to be made to a graphics file. Consider the PSD file as your master file and back up. This is a common practice.

Broon
    IP

i finally understand...http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

why can't you guys just put it simply..."don't save as .jpeg file if you want to re-edit". or "so long you save as .jpeg file you cannot re-edit"...haha...anyway...thanks a bunch...i got it.
    IP

Without beating a dead horse here...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> why can't you guys just put it simply..."don't save as .jpeg file if you want to re-edit". or "so long you save as .jpeg file you cannot re-edit <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

... because in your intial post you didn't specify the format you saved it in. When asking for help to solve problems in a forum like this, simple but important details are often overlooked by newbies. Therefore, the proposed solution will sometimes be as vague as the question.

Layers are a powerful and (personally speaking) indispensable feature of Photoshop. There are many tutorials, basic and advanced, geared to all aspects of PS on the internet. Once even the basics are understood, the doors open wide for the creative imagination.

Good Luck

Broon
    IP

oppss...i admit my mistake...http://www.talkgraphics.com/images/smilies/smile.gif

anyway, you guys are really wonderful. really glad that there is such a helpful forum around for idiots like me....hehe..

have a great day.
    IP