Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Old pages on the web.

Hi,

I seem to have a whole version of an old version of my site on the web. (OMG)

http://www.defiancecombatselfdefense...,%20Europe.htm

People are finding it my searching, "self defence certification" and it's on the front page of Google, which is good, but the page is old and once you access the site via, this link the whole site seems to be there and horribly distorted, is what do I do?

Is it a 301 redirect answer, and if so how do I do this?

This page is causing me a lot grief, help would be really appreciated.

G

Default Re: Old pages on the web.

You could delete it (but people will get an error), or change it to a redirect to the proper page or your homepage. You might consider copying the "good" page over the top of the "bad" page - probably the best of a bad job - then google will be happy and the page will look right.

It's a lesson that once pages get into the wild and are indexed, some care must be taken about search entries and people's bookmarks.

I am going to go back to the old page title and so hopefully it will find it.
    I'll let you know.

Yes, got the links back.
    Obvious really, but at least I don't have to mess around with anything too complicated.

Once again thanks.

G

The best way is to put a "no index,no follow" meta tag in that file, or use a robots.txt file to exclude that page.

According to Matt Cutts at Google, either of those will cause google to stop indexing the page, but they won't guarantee it!

..would be a bit of a pity to deliberately lose a good google index though.

Only that one page.

For example, if you have a page with almost duplicate content you, like a test landing page, you need to exclude the second page or you could get penalized for duplicate content.