Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help with very slow 4 page website

Hi I'm new to both here and using Web Designer 7 Premium (purchased this week) so sorry if this is covered elsewhere.

I have so far done two small websites using Xara. I published my first one to the web (which to me seems slightly more complex although it is still pretty basic) and it loads/opens instantly from internet explorer.

However, my second one which only has 4 pages is now very slow to open indeed and I have no idea why or how to fix it. It started off opening ok but the more I've added etc the slower it's becoming so much so that I don't think people will wait for it to open.

It has 4 pages and only 8 jpeg images in total. I have optimised all jpegs and they are all around 193 x 123 pixels with a resolution of 96 ppi, jpeg quality 75 (according to the box that pops up)

Could anyone please could point me in the direction of what I am obviously doing wrong.

Thanks

Default Re: Help with very slow 4 page website

Hi Amber,

Please supply the website details so I can take a look....

JLT

Hi JLT

Sorry I didn't realise I was allowed to post web links on here.

The one that seem to work ok but I'm told has very small looking web page sizes when viewed on other people's monitors (which I need to change as it looks ok on mine) is http://www.penkethautobody.co.uk/ (this has always been hosted is fairly well found on search engines has previouslyonly contained a jpeg leaflet rather than actual website until this week)

The one I'm having trouble with and is very slow is http://www.ashcroftautocentre.com/ and this is a brand new domain name only bought and hosted yesterday.. would that make a difference ? Sorry if that sounds a daft question but I'm a complete novice.

Thanks

Amber

Hi amber,

I'm just dj ing at the moment, when I get home I will take a look for you....

Hi Amber,

I sell domain names so I checked on yours. I couldn't get a "whois" listing, which is the public listing of domain names. I haven't seen this behavior before, but that suggests it may be too soon. I suggest checking with easyspace.com, but wait another full day.

It can take a few days for a new domain to be propagated (listed at all locations on the web). Once I got there, everything loaded quickly.

Both of your sites look good to this car freak -- who owned a Lotus in the 1970s (in the US), and got banned from the state of New York for a year because I was doing 125 mph!

Luck

Hi Amber,

As promised I have had a look at the site - I agree with the previous poster, it is a DNS related issue. I run my own DNS servers and they took forever to lookup your site, after further investigation it seems that easyspace's name servers are having some kind of technical issues. The top and bottom is that there is nothing wrong with how you have designed the site, and as mentioned before, once I got connected by IP address the site was quick to load and ran fine.

DNS Propigation can take anywhere upto 48Hrs although, the whois records should still be showing you as the owner...

Ill try again tomorrow lunch and see what gives.

Regards JLT

**UPDATE** - Just got a spark of life out of your site > Just to check everything was ok I ran a domain report, the results can be found here for 7 days http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsrep...75031c035b8012 - Glad to say Amber, all looks well (apart from the email, easyspace need to sort that out for you) - Just give it some time to settle...

JLT
    Last edited by jlt; 14 May 2011 at 12:12 AM.

Hi and thanks to you both for your help and advice. I shall wait a day and see what happens. I thought it may have been my design or the fact that I just put pictures/graphics and text boxes etc etc everywhere like I do in publisher etc.

JTL... I am a bit concerned over what has come up regarding the email errors though. I don't understand it all but sounds really bad to me. If we don't use the 'postmaster' email address would it be ok to just leave as we have existing email addresses we could use anyway.

Would it be possible for you to also run a DNS report for me on the www.penkethautobody.co.uk website as we set up a working email account from within there ages ago but have been using it via outlook express and some garage software we use etc so not directly from this domain name or website. I'm just worried that now I have created our new website it may start spamming or something.

Sorry for even more questions and requests but it's all completely new to me but I'm learning slowly and it's great fun

Hi Amber,

Just to clear up what is in that report. Probably the two most important are Host name in greeting, some anti spam software or hardware might regards incomming messages as spam if the host name is not set up in the outgoing email header field correctly, easyspace need to sort that out for you, the other is also an SPF record - that stops spammers from abusing your email domain, this also wants to be implemented. Another thing I noticed is that on your website you have put the email address in as a text field, this can be read and harvested by 'bots' which then pass that email address onto the spammers, with the email address available on your site you could end up being bombarded with spam over time. Best way to get round this is either create a form for people to get in touch and remove the text email address or, just make the text email address a graphic, jpg will do.

I will run the test on the other domain and come back with the results.

Regards

Hi Amber,

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/dnsrep...950c103b795019

Here are the results for penkethautobody.co.uk - pretty much same as before (which was always going to be if using easyspace again) - Do not worry about the glue records, it is normal behaviour for how you domain is setup and the host you are using.

JLT

Thanks ever so much JLT.

I will remove the email address text and replace it with a jpeg for now until I figure out how to do a form. I guess I should also remove the button email link too eh. I'll also get onto easyspace next week with the other issues.

very much appreciated, cheers

Amber