Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Xara 4 + Magix Photo Designer 7 ....DID I buy at the wrong time?

I bought Xara Xtreme 4 (non pro) when it was "current" by CD and with it came Magix Extreme Photo Designer 7.
    • I am getting confused about what company was what at that time, and the interactions between the two.
    • I discovered that the GUI doesn't line up with the documentation, and is missing something (more details on that later).

So...
    • Was that just "bad timing" for a Xara purchase?
    • Is the Xara product line now a complete mirror of the Magix Photo line and worthy of an upgrade?
    • Does the photo "stuff" now fully integrate into the drawing package?

Getting more confused the more I look at the website.

Here's two screenshots. Both products are registered properly, I don't understand what they are indicating here either. Maybe that's part of the problem?

THANKS!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magix 7 Rev.PNG 
Views:	158 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	81465Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xara 4 Rev.PNG 
Views:	149 
Size:	10.2 KB 
ID:	81466

Default Re: Xara 4 + Magix Photo Designer 7 ....DID I buy at the wrong time?

Magix owns Xara - but Xara continues as a separate company developing Xara products

As a consequence of Magix buying Xara, certain Magix programs were bundled with Xara products - so you were supplied with Magix photo designer [raster] free with your Xara Xtreme 4 [vector]

To add to confusion there has been a lot of renaming, and, Magix have brought out their own versions of some Xara products specifically for the German/Euro market

Currently most of the 'photo stuff as you put it is contained within Xara designer, there is no longer the need there was for a separate bundled raster program

I don't worry about it - I use Xara products and let magix get on with whatever it is they are currently doing

the registrations look correct - they each register to their own company
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...

The MAGIX raster application is still bundled with Xara applications, still version 7 as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bundled.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	3.9 KB 
ID:	81467  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

yes but do you need it ? what does it do that would make it necessary?
    Nothing lasts forever...

Hi Steve it is not necessary in any way that I can tell, however it may be the source for some of the Live Effects.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by handrawn View Post
    yes but do you need it ? what does it do that would make it necessary?
    Image editing (not drawing editing).

BIll - good point, didn't think of that

Quote Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
    Image editing (not drawing editing).

ok - but the last time I looked it was a very basic editor, compared to what you can do in designer 6 itself, or if you have gimp or photoshop elements etc

but then, it is 'free' to xara users - and I am spoilt for choice, and maybe lucky in that respect
    Nothing lasts forever...

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    The MAGIX raster application is still bundled with Xara applications, still version 7 as well.
    Now I'm REALLY confused. If they folded the image application into Xara, why are they muddying the waters by having it as a stand-alone product as well?

Not all of the features of the MAGIX application are included in the Xara application.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	magix7.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	81473  
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

Quote Originally Posted by Soquili View Post
    Not all of the features of the MAGIX application are included in the Xara application.
    ....it still seems to me that they will sow in enormous confusion with this, and that is deadly to public acceptance....