Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Help for DW3 integration is a bit thin on the ground in the Xara documentation, so I've kinda guessed my way through it

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Draw your image in Xara
    <LI>Save your Xara document as normal
    <LI>ctrl+shift+e as normal
    <LI>Click on the Image Map tab (not the most logical place to put this feature?)
    <LI>Select Add Design Note
    <LI>Export as normal as a gif/jpe/png etc into the directory you're storing your website locally
    <LI>XaraX creates a folder called _notes and in that folder, creates a file called filename.gif.mno in the folder you just exported to

<LI>This is where the documentation ends
    <LI>In Dreamweaver, click Edit -> Preferences -> External Editors
    <LI>Click on each extension (gif, jpe, png) and click Browse. Point DW to XX's folder and exe
    <LI>If you have any other editors shown (eg Fireworks or Photo Editor), make sure you click onto XaraX and select Make Primary
    <LI>OK that window

<LI>Now insert your graphic you you just created, as normal
    <LI>Single click on the graphic with the Properties toolbar open (ctrl+f3 if it's not)
    <LI>Click on the EDIT button (only shown on the double-height window, so click on the V arrow to enlarge if necessary)
    <LI>This is supposed to open the Xara file you used to export the GIF from.
    <LI>There appears to be a bug. It may be because I missed a step somewhere, but if Xara X is open at the time I press EDIT, it will open again (tell me it is a Beta copy, open and load a blank document).
    <LI>If XaraX is closed though, it will be opened and your file loads as intended[/list]

Help for DW3 integration is a bit thin on the ground in the Xara documentation, so I've kinda guessed my way through it

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>Draw your image in Xara
    <LI>Save your Xara document as normal
    <LI>ctrl+shift+e as normal
    <LI>Click on the Image Map tab (not the most logical place to put this feature?)
    <LI>Select Add Design Note
    <LI>Export as normal as a gif/jpe/png etc into the directory you're storing your website locally
    <LI>XaraX creates a folder called _notes and in that folder, creates a file called filename.gif.mno in the folder you just exported to

<LI>This is where the documentation ends
    <LI>In Dreamweaver, click Edit -> Preferences -> External Editors
    <LI>Click on each extension (gif, jpe, png) and click Browse. Point DW to XX's folder and exe
    <LI>If you have any other editors shown (eg Fireworks or Photo Editor), make sure you click onto XaraX and select Make Primary
    <LI>OK that window

<LI>Now insert your graphic you you just created, as normal
    <LI>Single click on the graphic with the Properties toolbar open (ctrl+f3 if it's not)
    <LI>Click on the EDIT button (only shown on the double-height window, so click on the V arrow to enlarge if necessary)
    <LI>This is supposed to open the Xara file you used to export the GIF from.
    <LI>There appears to be a bug. It may be because I missed a step somewhere, but if Xara X is open at the time I press EDIT, it will open again (tell me it is a Beta copy, open and load a blank document).
    <LI>If XaraX is closed though, it will be opened and your file loads as intended[/list]

I just read through my posting and don't think the penultimate point was clear. I can't edit the message though, for some reason.

I meant to say that if XaraX is already loaded - be it with a blank document, or another document, it will load AGAIN but WON'T open the Xara file linked to the GIF. It will just fire up a blank document (Untitled1.xar). That's what I think is a bug. It's probably linked somehow to the problem already described which doesn't allow you to double click a *.xar file to open it through Windows Explorer

If XaraX is NOT loaded, it WILL load when you click EDIT, and it DOES open the Xara file as intended.

I'm afraid it looks like this is a result of the beta/30 day message that we throw up when you start the beta version. I realise it's a bit annoying but it will go away with the release version.

Kate

Kate Moir
    http://www.xara.com
    http://www.buyfonts.com
    Kate Moir
    [url]http://www.xara.com[/url]

Kate, I also believe this is what happens when I use IExplore to open a .xar file (I installed the plugin that downloaded with beta 29 Sep).

Is there any way that Xara X can be customised to make the export code on slices and rollovers have the same code as Fireworks currently does?

Or, conversely, will Xara be releasing an "object" for dreamweaver that will allow the import of the exported xara page staight into Dreamweaver like the one that's currently available for fireworks?

A feature like this would be amazingly helpful...

Greg.