Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hi

I have recently obtained my CD copy of XaraX and have been playing around with it a bit more. However, it seems I've found a way to crash it every time by trying to do some bevelling.

Has anyone yet tried to bevel a graphic such as Car4 in the Transport section of the Clipart Gallery? I guarantee I can crash XaraX every time. Could someone else have a go and come back to me please.

I would like to have the ability to do this with some bitmaps I've traced and then tried bevelling. This could produce some nice effects if I could just bevel it. Seems though that there is a maximum number of objects required in the graphic. I've certainly managed to do it with 42 objects but the car is 541 objects and Xara crashes every time.

Trace

Hi

I have recently obtained my CD copy of XaraX and have been playing around with it a bit more. However, it seems I've found a way to crash it every time by trying to do some bevelling.

Has anyone yet tried to bevel a graphic such as Car4 in the Transport section of the Clipart Gallery? I guarantee I can crash XaraX every time. Could someone else have a go and come back to me please.

I would like to have the ability to do this with some bitmaps I've traced and then tried bevelling. This could produce some nice effects if I could just bevel it. Seems though that there is a maximum number of objects required in the graphic. I've certainly managed to do it with 42 objects but the car is 541 objects and Xara crashes every time.

Trace

That antique car bevels fine here [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I tried, and no problem. Perhaps it's your machine?

As I wrote earlier, I even bevelled in ONE time an A4 format poem, and although Xara had to calculate for appr. one minute, no freeze, no crash and a beautiful bevel around each letter.

Prince Edward Island, Canada --- The land of lawn tractors

In honor of the new year, I thought I'd try applying the bevel tool to 2001 shapes. It worked but if I wasn't so patient with Xara I would have sworn the program froze. It actually wasn't too bad until I instructed it to export - thats when things really slowed down. (I'm talking minutes of processing time - It reminded me of my first computer: a 8mhz macSE. I did CAD work on that box!)

Oh after applying the bevel I attempted to add shadows. That really seemed to freeze things so I ctrl-alt-deleted my way to my nice safe desktop.

Regards, Ross

<a href=http://www.designstop.com/>DesignStop.Com</a>

[This message was edited by Ross Macintosh on January 21, 2001 at 11:27 AM.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2000.jpg 
Views:	331 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	11953  

Maybe the problem is the amount of memory available on your system?

It takes a longer time to bevel complicated and varied object shapes - requires more RAM?
    - If I create hundreds of simple shapes (circles and squares) - Xara bevels them in two seconds flat.

The cars take a while - but they do get bevelled -I have 256 Megs.

Risto - I suspect you are right about Ram. This isn't a case where "less is more". Processor speed must make a difference too. On my PIII-866 with 128mb of ram it didn't take too long to apply the bevel to 2001 shapes. What took significant time was subsequent screen refreshes (I have a 16mb video card) and the export previews took seemingly for ever. Still with patience on my part, Xara did what it was tasked to do.

Regards, Ross

P.S. - Risto I see in your profile that you like inuit art... Check out the following old thread in the xara gallery forum: "This one was built..." I hope you enjoy the project I posted.

Ross, quality work as always!

You wouldn't have any good links for Inuit art
    would you? Sculpture or prints... anything goes...

Risto

It's not only the processor speed, but also the type. The speed is like the speed of a car. You can have a truck and a van that have the same maximum speed, but the truck can load more and still continue in difficult situations whereas the van has to give up.
    Pentium still seems to be the best for graphics, Thunderbird for gamers, and, well, not to say something negative, but a friend of mine has a K6 500MHz and nothing but trouble.
    It's also a question of the chipset: does it allow an Accelerated Graphics Port or does it take its, let's say 8MB, from the RAM?
    When you have 64, you have in fact only 56, and Windows already eats a lot...
    My idea has always been to invest as much as you can in RAM. The more the better.

On the other hand...aren't we like spoilt children?

Here's a link for you. It is the Houston North Galleryright here in beautiful Nova Scotia. They are a highly reputable dealer in Inuit art.

Enjoy, Ross Macintosh