Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Default Curved Corners on box go weird after resize?

When I draw a square, give it curved corners... then

when I resize it (say smaller) the curved corned don't maintain the correct proportions.

How do I fix this?

Now I did try "convert to editable shapes" try and select say the Right hand side curved bits and try and move them.
    But the shape doesn't reliably show all the parts to edit when I click "convert to editable shapes" !
    Even when they do it's painful indeed.

Is there some easy solution to this? So I can resize without curved corners going to shot?

Default Re: Curved Corners on box go weird after resize?

I've just drawn a square, given it curved corners, with the Selector tool I have resized the square to all sorts of sizes and the curved corners stay in proportion.

So, I can't seem to replicate the problems?!

Using XDP6.

Featured Artist on Xara Xone . May 2011
    . A Shield . My First Tutorial
    . Bottle Cap . My Second Tutorial on Xara Xone

If you resize a rectangle using the selector tool and grab the corner handles then the corners will scale too. If you use the middle handles the corners shouldn't change unless it gets too small and the curved corners start to touch. So you should be able to do it either way without converting to a shape.

Yeah, this used to be a problem, especially with narrow rectangles. The curvature would distort when the shape was resized, but this was addressed in Xtreme I believe.

If you absolutely have no luck, and I cannot imagine why, then resize your rectangle to the exact size. Then draw a new rectangle on top and apply curved corners to this rectangle. Delete the first rectangle.

I can confirm that in XDP6, if I create a rectangle with curved corners, I can resize it without distorting the corners by grabbing the corner nodes with the rectangle tool.

However, if convert the rectangle to an editable shape, then all bets are off, and resizing the object with the selection tool will distort the corners (but at this point, that is technically the correct behavior).

-- Ben
    -----------------------
    Ben Morgan: ad1066 AT gmail thingy
    Chapter 13 Press: www.chapter13press.com
    Burn After Reading: www.burnafterreadingpress.com

can people try it this way:

create square with curved corners. say 500, 500.

Now I want a rectangle say, 500 x 100.

The corners get distorted !

The reason for it as you don't know the height and the height might change.
    Also effects are applied, shadows, emboss effect etc..

It depends on the method you use when resizing the rectangle. For me if I use the rectangle tool it's scaling the corners no matter what way I use it, but with the select tool I can resize the rectangle and retain the initial corner size. Also I didn't realise this before but if you unlock the aspect ratio you can resize using the corner handles too and retain the corner size. The good thing is there are ways to resize with and without scaling the corners, it's just a matter of getting used to the different tools/methods for different situations.