Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Hybrid View

Default Re: $39.95 not from XD6 Pro?

Yes, it is confusing. But not so in the past - if one had one of the programs like X3D6 and wanted to upgrade to XX6, there was a discount. Like programs? Maybe.

Designer Pro 6 was suppose to be the program that had it all - graphics, web, 3D, everything - at lease they charged for it to have them - so it is a "like" program.

I have already purchased WD7 because I want the new goodies now but I will never be happy about having to pay more that if I had WD6. And when Designer Pro 7 comes out I will not be upgrading to it, even thought it would be nice to have everything in one place. It will take a while before they get any more of my money.

BTW, I even offered to pay for the Designer Pro 7 upgrade now and be allowed to use WD7 until it came out. Have heard nothing from them on that. - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Jeb I do not recall any discount for Xara 3D 6 owners to purchase Xara Designer Pro 6 or any other application. When Xara Xtreme Pro 4 and Xtreme Pro 5 were released I believe there was a free copy of Xara 3D 6 included.

I think there was a discount for Xara Webstyle 4 owners to upgrade to Web Designer 5.
    Soquili
    a.k.a. Bill Taylor
    Bill is no longer with us. He died on 10 Dec 2012. We remember him always.
    My TG Album
    Last XaReg update

I agree with Jeb. If you have any older Xara program, you should get a discount on any newer program. The amount of the discounts can vary, depending on the version and type of programs you are moving from and to.

Marketing is about satisfying customers. Software loyalties can change in an instant, since most graphics programs now export PDFs that can be opened and edited in other programs.

And Xara program names are now confusing. Just call the next main program 'Xara Pro 7'. Call the web program 'Xara Web Designer 7'. Xara Pro 7 should only sell as the 'pro' version. Xara Web Designer 7 should only sell as the 'premium' version. No lite or stripped-down versions should be offered for sale; the prices are low enough already given the amazing set of features and rapid development benefits these programs offer. If you want cheap, use PowerPoint.

Bill, you may be right but I seem to remember a discount for XX4 & 5 if you had any of the other Xara programs. And a discount for Designer Pro if you had XX4 or 5.

And I take exception to some thinking that Designer Pro 6 and Web Designer are not connected - Designer Pro 6 had ALL the other Xara programs in it - - X3D, graphics and web designing. That was the reason for purchasing - all in one. - jb
    - jb

"A little knowledge is a wonderful thing - sometimes."
    www.brownpotters.com

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    ...And I take exception to some thinking that Designer Pro 6 and Web Designer are not connected - Designer Pro 6 had ALL the other Xara programs in it - - X3D, graphics and web designing. That was the reason for purchasing - all in one. - jb
    I guess that is meant towards me. They are separate programs whether you would like to think of them thatta way or not. Yes, XDP6 has the web stuff and a subset of the 3D stuff. It is the flagship, do all be all (for the most part) of Xara's offerings.

And, whenever the new version comes out, I suspect, much to my "displeasure," it will include all the web stuff and little enhancements to the vector side of things. I hope I am wrong. Heck, I would prefer to rip the web-guts out of XDP7 and build the vector side up into a fuller program. That's my wish, as long as we are wishing.

Take care, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by jeb View Post
    I take exception to some thinking that Designer Pro 6 and Web Designer are not connected - Designer Pro 6 had ALL the other Xara programs in it - - X3D, graphics and web designing. That was the reason for purchasing - all in one. - jb
    There's a differrence between overlapping feature sets and one program being a version of the other.

I guess Xara/Magix did the right thing because rather than follow your reason for buying an "all in one" program you've purchased the web designer version without any discount rather than wait a little longer to get those same features, perhaps plus some more in the program you will be offered a discount in.

It's not very common to have a downgrade discounts. Going from DP6 to WD7/P is a downgrade.
    John.

I've been away from site building for a while and only today decided to make a site for a new venture so opened XWD6 and WHAM an upgrade ..Fantastic ! I was quite prepared to pay 50% for the upgrade but to pay again for what I paid for a year ago seems a bit much. I don't feel ripped off just a little disappointed. I am sure many other part time Xara users will feel a little let down too,after all,especially these days is it not best to keep your existing customers with you and not let them be tempted to look elsewhere ?

Anyhoo thats my tuppence worth, now back to blowing the dust off my wd6.
    If I had any more brains I'd be a half wit !