Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Default Re: Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

You write that you have tried everything, but I just checked your page again (first from history, and then with F5).
    Your main image is still named with a number, 16.png, so you apparently haven't tried the forced-filename route yet?

Default Re: Please please help re Xara Web Designer 6 and Deleting Browsing History

Quote Originally Posted by bjornkn View Post
    You write that you have tried everything, but I just checked your page again (first from history, and then with F5).
    Your main image is still named with a number, 16.png, so you apparently haven't tried the forced-filename route yet?
    hello again :-)
    thanks for yr msg :-)
    how u? Hope well
    \about the forced filename, how would i do that? Can u maybe give me a step by step instructions on how to do that? If you like you can e-mail it to me, (or put it on the forum), then i will certainly try it. Thanks so mucg, gleNN gleNNscheun@gmail.com

It's just like when you named those meta tag placeholders witht he name'<head>'
    Select your image and chose 'Names...' from the context menu.
    Give it a name like: 'filename="your_chosen_filename"' (without those single ' quotes.
    Another thing is that you should maybe force Xara to export it as jpg rather than the chosen png format?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornkn View Post
    It's just like when you named those meta tag placeholders witht he name'<head>'
    Select your image and chose 'Names...' from the context menu.
    Give it a name like: 'filename="your_chosen_filename"' (without those single ' quotes.
    Another thing is that you should maybe force Xara to export it as jpg rather than the chosen png format?
    Thanks bjornkn :-)

To everyone, I finally got it solved, thanks to beretgascon. YOU ARE A STAR!!! :-) Thank you thank you!!! :-)
    And to all who contributed, I thank you too :-) Also sorry Pauland I came across as harsh. Pls forgive me. Please take care, and thank you too for your input.
    It's 3:39am and i'm off to bed :-) Take care ye all. I'm one happy guy!!! :-)

I think he's happy
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

Yes, but what went wrong?

LOL, I guess we might never know!

Might help others if it's a simple "gotcha". Cache related issues are a recurring theme.

Sorry, I thought Glenn might answer this first.

I had a long email exchange with Glenn about this and realised that the problem would be resolved if he deleted all Xara exported files and folders from his PC and deleted everything in the httpdocs/public_html dir off the server. He did this, opened the Xara file and uploaded his entire website and checked it in his browser. He then made a change in Xara, saved the project, exported it and uploaded it (both times using Filezilla). When he went to the changed page in his browser it did what we would expect, the changes were there, and he was happy. The problem wasn't a Xara one. I won't go into the precise reasons, but it was essentially simple confusion about locations, duplication of files/folders and file naming conventions. The deeper Glenn got into caching issues, the deeper the frustration and the confusion. Sometimes those of us who have been at this for a while cannot see the wood for the trees and this is one reason the obvious solution wasn't offered right away. Anyway, all's well that ends well.
    If someone tried to make me dig my own grave I would say No.
    They're going to kill me anyway and I'd love to die the way I lived:
    Avoiding Manual Labour.

you mean like the equivalent of 'reformat disk and clean re-install' an OS ?

makes sense....
    -------------------------------
    Nothing lasts forever...