Welcome to TalkGraphics.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Audio player question

I'm trying to add an audio player into my site. After researching audio players, I've found out that to get a player on my site, I'll need to copy and paste code. My question is: since I don't know anything about code, how can I get the audio player added? I've watched tutorials and I don't understand them because they are all about code. I can copy/paste, but have no clue where to paste the audiofile code in amongst the rest of the code. I love Xara because people like me who don't know code can make nice sites, however, is there a way to add an audio player to a Xara website just by dragging and dropping, just like adding a photo or graphic? Thanks for your feedback.
    Pat

Default Re: Audio player question

It is not that hard. See this Xara Xone Guest Tutorial.

Hi dogear!

Xara makes it easy to paste code into the html of your page. Usually all you have to do (if you already have the code you want to paste) is copy it, and with the selector tool (arrow cursor must show and not text tool cursor) active, paste it directly onto the page you want the player to be on. The program will automatically generate a placeholder image the size of the player so that you can drag it around the page and position it where you want.

It's useful to select to 'repel text under' by right clicking the placeholder and adjusting the 'web properties' of the placeholder so that text and other objects will wrap around it.

The placeholder is a visual representation of the player in the design view, but is replaced automatically by the actual code when publishing your site.

There are many kinds of audio widgets, so i can't comment further... some would require you to upload the audio files to your server, and others to a server used by the widget provider. In both cases the code would need to refer to the URL of the audio files on a server, so depends on what is required by the widget provider... usually the player is customizable on the providers' website and the code generated automatically for the user.

Hope this helps

Excellent tutorial Gary (and Steve)! Dogear, just so you know, I was busy composing my reply when Gary answered, so mine is not building on what is explained in the tutorial. My answer refers mainly to your question on inserting the code from third party widgets.

Thanks for the responses and link to the tutorial, which BTW is great.

I discovered that the code for the player I was using wasn't correct. I located another player and got it into my web page with no problem.

What I am confused about is how to link the audio file to the player so when I click the play button it plays the file. The tutorials I've watched and read simply say, "load the audio file to your server", or they go into Dreamweaver and it gets complicated. I don't understand how/where to load the audio file on my server. Thanks for your patience and response.

Pat

This should help
    JOHN -XaReg (FB) XaReg (DB - ignore prompt to register)
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

Cool player, but when I change web pages the player stops.
    I want surfers to be able to listen to music whilst paging through my site.
    Can that be achieved? (without a pop-up window or new browser window).

Not that I'm aware of
    Windows 10 [Anniversary] pro Intel Pentium CPU G630 @ 2.70Ghz RAM: 4 GB; 64-bit x64

I seem two have two problems.

1. the player does not paint properly, only a fraction is shown, although the placeholder is large enough.
    2. The file link as mentioned in the text on (http://xara-users.info/demos/embeded...ayer/index.htm) "Link to File (PDF, AVI, etc.)" is not on the placeholder TAB but on teh Link TAB; consequently, that place holder remains visible. I create my placeholders as text boxes with a little text in them so I know what they are for. If I remove the text, I can never find them again on the page.

Am I missing something?

1. Is the placeholder the same size as in the code?
    2. Put the placeholder on the pasteboard - the grey area outside the page.