Welcome to TalkGraphics.com

Thumbs down Help please on the Rubik's cube tutorial.

I should explain that I am new to this program (Xara Photo and Graphic Designer 6.) At the beginning I am told to Draw a 60 pixel square which I did (not sure how thick the edges/lines should be so I chose 0.25 pixels. Then you are supposed to duplicate the square until you have a cube of 9 small squares. I am supposed to have "snap to grid selected," Which I had, but can not get the edges of the squares to line up properly. I reckon I must have missed something but what?

The tutorial may be seen here Page 1 at the beginning refers. I am getting a bit despondant as this is the second tutorial I have failed on. The first one was the Football one.

Kind regads,

Tim

Default Re: Help please on the Rubik's cube tutorial.

Hello Tim,

Welcome to the forum.

If you could share your program file, it might be easier to find specifically what is going wrong. Without seeing the file (ie. not knowing), I would only suspect that the grid spacing set in the program was incorrect for what the tutorial is "expecting."

Take care,

James

Hi James,

I think you are absolutely right, my grid spacing is set at 1 cm with 10 small divs, and yet the rectangles are drawn in pixels. Surely this can not be right? How do I change the grid to pixels?

Much obliged,

Tim

Hi Tim,
    The tutorial squares look like they have lines, but those are just to illustrate the square shapes. So I think you should make them with no lines.

To make the squares align, simply make your first square and left click it once. You’ll see small black square ‘handles’ appear around the square. Left click the centre left handle and while holding it down, push the ctrl button and then drag the handle to the right. As the square flips over, click your right button and let go. This will create a second square beside the first. Do the same with the second square to make three. Marquee select all three squares, click on the group, select the top centre black handle, hold ctrl down and drag towards the bottom, and when all three flip over right click your mouse and let go. You should now have six squares. Repeat to make nine. This operation takes about five seconds once you get the hang of it.

You can change your page units to pixels by going to options (ctrl/shift/O) and selecting units/pixels, and 'apply'. You can set grid settings, in the same options window by going to ‘grid and ruler’. There you can adjust the spacing and subdivisions of the pixels.

To attach your xara file you can scroll down in the quote reply box to find the ‘manage attachments’ button. Click that and in the ‘upload files from your computer’ box, click browse and find your file, select it and then click ‘upload’. Once it uploads you can click ‘submit reply’ in the quote box.
    Visiting/participating in TalkGraphics since i/us (’97).

OK, Thanks to James I have now sussed that difficulty out. Thanks again James.

All the best,

Tim